Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is photography a form of "hoarding"?

Re: Is photography a form of "hoarding"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    LOL, we use photography as cognitive behavioural therapy for people with the disorder at my hospital psych clinic. Susan Sontag wrote about the philosophy behind taking pictures: Brian Shaw is on the right track.
    Yea, Susan Sontag (I think I remember) stated that photography was the extension of the hunter/gatherer instinct... And something about the male species sublimating the kill of the hunt with (shooting) photos...

I personally don't take much photo crit too seriously... Apples and oranges comparing visual language to written language... And many of the authors just need to get out more, and see/feel/sense the world... (And stop breathing so much library dust...)

If indeed photographers tend to be hoarders, I don't think that it's limited to images.

I steal time, I hoard moments, I collect sunlight.

Robert Bowring

"Is photography a form of hoarding?" Who cares? What difference does it make?

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    ... Vivian Maier ... was a major hoarder ...
    Correlation does not equal causation.
    One is not a viable sample.
    Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Is the actual act of "Taking a picture" a form of hoarding?
    No.

collecting maybe

hoarding usually means not being discernable and photography is highly discernable

photographers are collectors...I think of myself as a collector and documenter way more than anything to do with 'artist'

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Yea, Susan Sontag (I think I remember) stated that photography was the extension of the hunter/gatherer instinct... And something about the male species sublimating the kill of the hunt with (shooting) photos...
    Interesting. Seeing a group of photographers has sometimes reminded me of a group of hunters with their guns. In either case, often older, out of shape white males for whom a wild, animalistic hunt isn't socially acceptable, much less physically possible.

Many successful photographers have been unabashedly predatory in their work - collecting subjects or stories, taking something, getting something out of them. Richard Avedon and Helmut Newton both spoke about this phenomenon - Avedon in defense of it, and Newton against it.
    -Adam

Photography in itself is amoral. So the question as posed is moot.

A couple years back I got a phone call about some old cameras in a basement. Marginally interesting but in an oak lawyers cabinet were thousands of excellent negatives of our desert communities and their peoples taken from roughly 1938 to 1953. The fellow mostly used a 5X7 with decent anastigmat lens. 4X5's when he was in a hurry. Probably a press camera as they aren't as excellent.

I'm sure his wife thought he was a hoarder. His children also showed no interest. Finally a grand daughter inherited the stuff and was interested in the cash value of the oak cabinet. I asked if the negs would remain in the drawers if I bought it, and she was more than glad to do that. So for $600 bucks I bought an important slice of local history and am in the process of preserving it. There are coffee table books. He had a very sympathetic eye. I'm really glad he hoarded. Maybe someone will dust off my crap in 75 years and have some fun.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

I don't think collecting images (i.e. photography in itself) is hoarding, but I have some concerns about negatives and work prints. I tend to file even poor or mediocre negatives, and to keep more work prints than I should (not the steps I go through in making a final print, but I tend to make multiple copies of the final print in case I screw up the spotting, toning, or mounting). On one hand, it is often fun to look through the old contact sheets and not-so-great prints, but on the other hand the boxes and loose leaf binders to tend to accumulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    she was more than glad to do that. So for $600 bucks I bought an important slice of local history and am in the process of preserving it.
    Amazing and wonderful! Documentary photography is a long-term commitment. You have a treasure. Thanks for being there for the rest of us.