Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Wildflowers near Bishop, CA

Spring Wildflowers near Bishop, CA

I saw some FB pictures from the Owens Valley showing some wonderful blue Iris fields that were in full bloom last week. It's looking like time to take the drive North. Is anyone in the Eastern Sierra area that can verify this?. Anyway, I'm heading North on this Thursday the 5th (on Cinco de Mayo).
    Jerry Parker

Re: Spring Wildflowers near Bishop, CA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1462328011039.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	150414
    This was taken on 4/29/16 by Laura Molnar
    Jerry Parker

Drew Wiley

That's definitely Mt Humphreys in the background. But the general area from that persepctive is quite dry and sagebrushy, so it must be in the vicinity of the main irrigation ditch well east of Bishop. I can't remember the name of the little road, but there is some conspicuous pasture and some cottonwoods out there too.
    Wild iris is kinda unusual for that area, to say the least; so it is probably confined to a handful of bogs. There is a fair amount of it out on the coast here at the moment.

There's a group up in Alabama Hills this weekend you might want to hook up with. Good guys and Lady Laura..
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...A-May-6-7-2016
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    That's definitely Mt Humphreys in the background. But the general area from that persepctive is quite dry and sagebrushy, so it must be in the vicinity of the main irrigation ditch well east of Bishop. I can't remember the name of the little road, but there is some conspicuous pasture and some cottonwoods out there too.
    Wild iris is kinda unusual for that area, to say the least; so it is probably confined to a handful of bogs. There is a fair amount of it out on the coast here at the moment.
    On her FB page Ms Molnar says it was near the Brockman area, I presume near 395, sort of NW of town.
    Jerry Parker

Quote Originally Posted by matthew blais View Post
    There's a group up in Alabama Hills this weekend you might want to hook up with. Good guys and Lady Laura..
    Thanks. What a coincidence. I wanted to go to their campout last year but couldn't get it together. I will check them out.
    Jerry Parker

Drew Wiley

The Buttermilk hills look distant, though it's certainly possible this is due to a wide angle lens. If so, there are some wet areas on the west side of 395 as one
    heads a bit north towards Rovana. It's a lovely area, which survived a near miss catastrophe with LA-style burb development after the locals raised hell. I wouldn't make a fuss about exact photographic opportunities, since one should cruise around a bit anyway. There are some nice vantage points which the main highway misses. Hard to say how far up the road uphill due west of Bishop you can get at the moment, but it's typically plowed as far as Aspendell. Also, there are some old road sections headed south toward Independence, to the west of 395, that are very interesting. If you stop at Big Pine, you can still see the little Victorian church where my mother's uncle was circuit preacher in the late 1800's. I inherited the old albumen prints and cyanotypes of that little town just beginning its construction. Mary Austin's house is just up the street from that, and is preserved as a museum, in memoriam of the infamous water war with LA.

Drew Wiley

Just checked a map. Millpond is a watery public access park along McGee Creek just up the road from the Brockman neighborhood, so it could be around there somewhere, but the same road branches right up Pleasant Valley toward Rovana. Everything just minutes apart. So just cruise around a bit, like I already said.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew blais View Post
    Gentlemen and ladies:
    I've never been to one of your Owens Valley outings and this year we may just pass each other as I'm leaving Orange County tomorrow AM 5/5/16 for Bishop for the wildflowers. I'll either stop by on Thursday on the way up or on Monday heading South, if that's ok. I'm bringing my 4x5 Crown Graphic, 10 sheets of Velvia 50, a few sheets of Shanghai and a box of Fomapan 100 (aka Freestyle). If I run out of Velvia, I might come by a bit earlier, but 10 sheets can last me a while. Anyway, hope to meet you people soon.
    Jerry Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Just checked a map. Millpond is a watery public access park along McGee Creek just up the road from the Brockman neighborhood, so it could be around there somewhere, but the same road branches right up Pleasant Valley toward Rovana. Everything just minutes apart. So just cruise around a bit, like I already said.
    I was thinking this vantage point might be on the Reservation near Brockman off 395, but cruise around I will. I lived in Bishop for a few years in the late 70's and my first trip back there in over 30 years was last fall. The changes I saw then were mostly good changes.
    Jerry Parker