Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choosing an 8x10 field camera

Choosing an 8x10 field camera

Is anyone actually selling the Shen Hao 8x10 in the U.S.? I thought I read somewhere that Badger and other dealers weren't importing any until the bellows problem was fixed?

In any event, I like the Tachihara 4x5 cameras but the 8x10s wouldn't be my choice. The double extension has too short a bellows and the triple extension weighs too much (all my opinions of course). A new Canham Traditional is out of your $2,000 price range. For under $2,000 I'd either buy a metal Canham, a Wehman, or spend some time looking for a good used Deardorff. I've had two Deardorffs and they're great cameras but you need to either buy one from a reputable dealer or be very careful about what you buy on e bay. Many Deardorffs have seen heavy use by pros and are more than thirty years old so you have to be careful. But a good one is a thing of beauty and a joy forever (until they get too heavy and you sell them as I did : - )
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian

From what I have been told, the reason they are not being imported is the price point - around $2500. That's a far cry from the price point of the 4X5 model and I do realize that it is a better spec'd camera than the 4X5.

Dean, my point was two-fold: firstly, it's not in Jason's price range at $2500 and secondly, that it makes sense to wait until teething problems have been ironed out on a new product before jumping in. I am sure that Ken's camera will get sorted out (I certainly hope so) and I look forward to his thoughts on his camera when he has finally managed to get out and do some successful shooting with it. But, Ken is paying the price for being an "early adopter" of a new product... Shen Hao seem to be able to produce loads of decent 4X5 cameras so I can't see why they wouldn't be able to produce a good 8X10. But, it's a new project for them...

I do have another little issue with Shen Hao - they sell a copy of an Ebony SW45 which I managed to get a first hand look at a little while ago when I was contemplating an Ebony SW45. It looks great and is really cheap (around $750). It is a copy - I'm not sure what intellectual property rights anyone has over anything in this area, but it is an exact copy and it did strike me at the time that if I were Hiromi (maker of Ebony cameras) and had spent years perfecting what is a very clever concept for a non-folding field camera, I'd be pretty annoyed that my idea was being churned out, like so much else, in a cloned form from some factory in China. However, upon closer inspection, it became clear that the Shen Hao clone has some huge drawbacks. The Ebony SW45 relies on very supple bellows - you can then use any lens from a 47mmXL on a flat lensboard and do pretty much whatever contortions you like with it. The Shen Hao has very stiff bellows which become almost unusable with a 65mm lens on it. So this camera which has been designed around easy use of wide angle lenses has a huge flaw... You get what you pay for.

Not to throw a wet blanket on things, but taking a "dream camera" to college may not be consistent with the security environment. I'd check out the security possibilities before making any decision.

You may want to wait till you are enrolled. Some of the major manufacturers used to have some pretty sweet student discounts on 4x5 outfits, I don't know if that also goes to 8x10.

Beyond which you may want to get an idea of how much film your assignments will cause you to burn. You may want a 4x5 or at least a 4x5 back with the 8x10.

I love my Deardorff but it was recently rebuilt by Jack Deardorff with new bellows and all. Repairs to a Deardorff can be very expensive and if the bottom is split it can be a major problem. So if you go the used camera route do it with caution.

"An 8x10 kit for under $900?"
    http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/500806.html#538571

Jason,

You leave it kind of open as to what your expectations are for your purchase. Are you looking for the ability to do architectural work? Landscape or nature? Portaiture? I think answering these may help guide your decision. A couple cameras that haven't been mentioned are a Toho 8x10 or a Wista wood field. You can read about the Toho on Badger Graphic's website if you're not familiar with it. The Toho new is about $2300 and the Wista is about $1800 on MPEX's site. You don't say where you are located, but, if you're close to Columbus Ohio a drive to Midwest Photo might be worth your time. Otherwise if you give them a call you will get a lot of help that may not be available over the web. While I haven't dealt with him directly I have also heard that Jeff at Badger Graphic will also provide you with excellent advice during your decision making process. For what its worth I used to shoot 8x10 on an 80 year old Gundlach field camera that cost me a total of $600. To this day you can't tell which photographs were taken on it and with some much more expensive equipment that has passed through my hands. Good luck in school and give those guys a call.

Other forum participants may know of some other regional stores that may be helpful for Jason.

Just a note on weight; if you think a triple extension cherrywood camera is too heavy, a triple extension teak camera is considerably heavier. I would expect teak to be about as heavy as ebony, and an ebony wood Ebony 8x10 (of which the Shen hao is a copy) weighs easily 15-16 lbs. A Deardorff is light in comparison, and a Canham traditional, Wehman, Phillips, or mahogany Ebony are featherweights.

Steve

Ted, Wisner (on his web site) lists his least expensive 8x10 for $2800. If I got a Wisner, I'd just HAVE to add the 40% for custom woodwork. The Technical Field is about $4000. Canham's cameras are very nice, the metal 810 (JMC, I believe?) is very nice, and Keith was nice enough to demo it for me last year at Photo Plus. Right now I guess that's the front-runner.

Bill, I love my Cambo. If I could, I would. But there's NO WAY I can store the camera in a dorm room, and I don't have the money to rent a storage unit for it. Maybe, best case scenario, I'll leave it home and bring it up when I finally get an apartment.

Armin, not only do I know many, many satisfied Wisner customers, but I've met Ron on two occasions and consider him to be an exceedingly nice gentleman. I am in no way worried about his business practices, and I do not live in Asia with a dead phone number...or whatever that situation was.

Ralph, I would hate to lose a camera. However, all of my equipment is insured and if it comes to it, I'd need to place a claim. Besides, I doubt anyone other than the most educated theif would pass up the Hassy to grab a wooden box that they can't seem to get open.

Neal, I'm dedicated to 8x10. The school has many 4x5 kits, and I'm sure I'll use them (or maybe a 4x5 back for the 8x10). But for my own work, I use 8x10.

Kevin, I'm into architecture but mainly portraiture and even more so landscape. I just wanted to witness the debate without steering it in any direction.

Thanks for the advice. We'll see what happens, and I'll watch the used market - and shoot off an email to Keith Canham.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Jason,

If you want a Wisner, go for it- there have been quite a few 8X10s going dirt cheap on E-Bay lately- traditionals and TFs for around $2000 and even less in near mint condition.
    Brian Vuillemenot

My vote is for the Wehman 8x10 - if you're not doing architecture. VERY strong, stable and portable. THE best warrenty and service. It can take lenses from 120mm to 1200mm teles. You can't change the bellows though. For interiors, you'll need bag bellows - but you already have the Cambo for that. I'd take the cambo along with your new field camera to school.

If you have to take just one then I'd Ebay for a Wisner if you really need the bag bellows. A Mint one just ended at $2025.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15248&item=7501550861&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Have fun.