Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to disassemble a Sinar P2 standard?

Re: How to disassemble a Sinar P2 standard?

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    perhaps it's to make sure users send their cameras in for repairs to registered Sinar dealers for reasons of quality control and channel protection.
    No, its just a way to squeeze out another buck, comes from old photo people, who think its still the 80's and sinar is a big deal.

I think you are both saying the same thing in different words and you are both right too... The view camera market has squeezed considerably over the past two decades, to the extend that only knowledgeable photographers that get involved with their equipment and look at it as being a necessary tool for their work still think of it as the most important part of their photography... Thus, the photographer that is using the tool needs to fully integrate the design approach as to extract most of its potential and capabilities... From that POV, for the user to fully familiarise with the tool is a natural consequence which -of course- is against the financial expectations of the maker as to create profit out of it. I wouldn't trust any technician to repair my equipment for me, especially if there is no spare part needed, or if I can make a replacement part myself that can improve on the performance of the design.

The Sinar P is the most thoughtful design ever out of all IMO (up to today) and I can support that opinion by backing it up with enough reasoning if a conversation about that is brought up, but there are silly decisions that have been made by Sinar in its production (like using plastic parts that can fail in important positions for the camera's long term performance) that are not in line with the quality of the design, or the price of it, or even the ethics behind the company policies when it comes down to customer support. Heck, you don't make a metal gear to clime over a plastic rail... do you? It's basic ethics of common sense engineering not to do so... Especially if it's not part of the (marvellous) design to do so, but only a production decision as to make the part cheaper!

I've got a couple of Sinar's that have the quick release frame - maybe all do, for that matter. HOWEVER, on a couple of frames I can loosen the little bolt that is supposed to hold the frame, the frame loosens, but WILL NOT let go. I realize it is a cam locking system, but at NO position of the bolt will the frame come off the standard.

I've got some Sinars that do, so I am doubly confused............

Anyone have magic words or secret hand positions or precious knowledge that will help me get the frame off the standard??? What in the world could be holding it on??

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Thomason View Post
    I've got a couple of Sinar's that have the quick release frame - maybe all do, for that matter. HOWEVER, on a couple of frames I can loosen the little bolt that is supposed to hold the frame, the frame loosens, but WILL NOT let go. I realize it is a cam locking system, but at NO position of the bolt will the frame come off the standard.

I've got some Sinars that do, so I am doubly confused............

Anyone have magic words or secret hand positions or precious knowledge that will help me get the frame off the standard??? What in the world could be holding it on??
    The Sinar X has the frame fix on it not like the P or P2, so if you have an Sinar X it will not let go the frame! So you can the X not change to other formats, like the P & P2!! Hope it helps!

Armin from Sinar land!

Hey Armin. I've got the P's. Sinar P's that is!!

When it comes to lost cause photo equipment, I like to refer to the last page in any military instructions about disposal: "Destroy. Grenades will suffice."

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    The Sinar X has the frame fix on it not like the P or P2, so if you have an Sinar X it will not let go the frame! So you can the X not change to other formats, like the P & P2!! Hope it helps!

Armin from Sinar land!
    I used to own a Sinar X with the supposedly non-removable frame. There is a screw that needs to be removed. I cannot recall the location of the screw after so many years. At that time, I wanted to know if I could replace the standard frame with a Sinar Carrier Wide Frame for my then new-to-me Sinarback 54H. Later models of the Sinar X have the removable frame, I believe.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I used to own a Sinar X with the supposedly non-removable frame. There is a screw that needs to be removed. I cannot recall the location of the screw after so many years. At that time, I wanted to know if I could replace the standard frame with a Sinar Carrier Wide Frame for my then new-to-me Sinarback 54H. Later models of the Sinar X have the removable frame, I believe.

Kumar
    Exactly right, the Sinar X frames are exactly the same as of the P and are removable, Stephen may have got a P2 that has Sinar X frame on it by mistake, or on purpose if he got it second hand... One will never notice unless if he tries to remove the frame.
    As of the Sinarback 54H, I use one of these (FW version) along with a Hasselblad CF-39MS back... Its image quality for stills is just unbelievable... It will beat any drum scanner if used to digitise a large sheet of film too in 16x true colour mode... Just use a Kaiser lightbox and shoot the film in 16x mode using a good MF lens (I use the Zeiss 120mm f4 APO micro of the Contax 645 at f11 for the job), you can get any resolution you want out of the film too if one stitches two or more 16x shots together... Unbeatable results!

I believe the screw on the X is right at the bottom center of the frame

A Sinar repair tech told me years ago there was a good reason to use plastic instead of metal for certain parts/gears, something about them wearing out either way and being easier/cheaper to replace if made of plastic (where the metal would have meant more parts to replace) for most users.

It was long ago, seemed to make sense and I trusted the tech wasn't bs-ing me, then again I'm not an expert at these things.

Quote Originally Posted by asf View Post
    I believe the screw on the X is right at the bottom center of the frame

A Sinar repair tech told me years ago there was a good reason to use plastic instead of metal for certain parts/gears, something about them wearing out either way and being easier/cheaper to replace if made of plastic (where the metal would have meant more parts to replace) for most users.

It was long ago, seemed to make sense and I trusted the tech wasn't bs-ing me, then again I'm not an expert at these things.
    He made it up... Many employs of companies develop a biased approach (the "all the company does is genius" thing) on the company's products... I guess it's natural...