Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Pro Scanner Users

Re: Scitex Eversmart Pro Scanner Users

Hi Jim

I use the whole bed of the scanner at full resolution and lay down negatives as Micheal suggests.. it is a very easy matter of duplicate crop and you can batch preview scan .

each image is then available for adjustments and sharpness decision... I take sharpening off and leave that for PS. I must say the noise of these machines will drive you crazy, as well I do not load up the system with too many
    batch scans as sometimes I have seen the system lock up.

The Oxygen system is a bit clumsy to work with since it is 90's tech but hey at 76 you will find this stuff easy. Though the scanner I have does support 16 bit capture, some of the corrections for curves and density colour do not
    work . I have seemed to figure out how to work around this, but it did take me lots of trial to do so.

I think you will find you can indeed walk away after you have set up each image and let the machine work for an hour or two.

bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Good question!!! As you know, I have an IQsmart 2 coming in a few weeks but they're both pretty heavy duty machines so my thinking is to use the IQsmart for everything and replace the Coolscan as well as the 750 because from talking with Michael at Genesis I think the workflow will be much better. Right now I have to re-position the film for each frame and it's more "fiddly" than it should be with the Coolscan. What he told me was that I can make a mask for a couple of rolls of film and predefine all the individual photo locations and make a template for it so each time I load a few strips I just have to slightly move the marquees to adjust for spacing differences or delete some of them and then let it scan all the photos while I go do something else. I'm not sure if the Eversmart has the same capability or not, but that's my thinking. At nearly 76, the remaining service life of the scanner operator is a bigger question mark than the remaining service life of the scanner!

HI Ari

I have an Imocan , Epson 10000 and Eversmart Supreme.

The Eversmart is my go to unit for larger film , and my Imocan is used for single frame smaller format.
    both give very nice scans that pushed to PS make amazing prints.

If I can figure out the neoprene vacuum system I spoke about I would go exclusively to the Eversmart due to its batch function that Jim is pining for.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    More of a general question than a specific one about the Eversmart:

Those of you with high-end scanners (flatbed or drum), do you use the scanner for almost everything (LF, MF, 35mm, good & so-so negs)?
    Or do you use the scanner for your best negs only, saving the scanner and its components from faster wear because of a scarcity of available parts?

I know the Eversmart was a workhorse in its day, meant for high-volume scanning, but replacement lamps aren't cheap, and they're probably the least expensive things to replace on a scanner like this.
    And I'm also wondering if keeping a v750 around is worth it or not.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the info regarding your scanning usage; I'm leaning towards using the Creo exclusively, I can usually tell a good neg from a bad one on the light table.
    And according to this Genesis page, the Eversmart and IQ series all offer batch scanning: http://www.genesis-equipment.com/pro...ners_6_53.aspx
    The IQ series do so about twice as quickly.

I'm trying to figure out where I'll put the scanner. Dust is an issue throughout our house.
    I have a desk that is usable, but it's adjacent to my regular work desk.
    And if the scanner is as noisy as you say, it'll have to be kept farther away from my daughter's room, basement maybe.

The scanner I have is really heavy and yes noisy... dust is a problem to be concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the info regarding your scanning usage; I'm leaning towards using the Creo exclusively, I can usually tell a good neg from a bad one on the light table.
    And according to this Genesis page, the Eversmart and IQ series all offer batch scanning: http://www.genesis-equipment.com/pro...ners_6_53.aspx
    The IQ series do so about twice as quickly.

I'm trying to figure out where I'll put the scanner. Dust is an issue throughout our house.
    I have a desk that is usable, but it's adjacent to my regular work desk.
    And if the scanner is as noisy as you say, it'll have to be kept farther away from my daughter's room, basement maybe.

Thanks Bob

Yeah, noise. Considering that I'm sitting in front of three computers and a vent fan that exhausts outdoors maybe not a huge problem, and with the constant ringing in my ears that comes with maturity i'm not sure I'll notice it. I'm actually going to move the Epson 4880 and the IQsmart (when it gets here) into a closet - have to make a bit of an alcove in the wall behind the printer so it will fit inside, but that's an afternoon's job. Or it used to be when I was spry enough/small enough to wiggle into the space. I'm in process of building a unit that will hold the printer and scanner on full extension pull out slides rated at 150 pounds per drawer, which should be adequate.

Ari, the noise on our particular model is not too bad. It certainly isn't quite but I don't think it's loud enough to disturb someone in room separated by a wall.

I think you'll know as soon you power it on and get a feel for it yourself.

I also think you'll be happy with your decision to use Eversmart exclusively since the quality difference is so significant.

I look forward to seeing your scans soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Thanks Bob

Yeah, noise. Considering that I'm sitting in front of three computers and a vent fan that exhausts outdoors maybe not a huge problem, and with the constant ringing in my ears that comes with maturity i'm not sure I'll notice it. I'm actually going to move the Epson 4880 and the IQsmart (when it gets here) into a closet - have to make a bit of an alcove in the wall behind the printer so it will fit inside, but that's an afternoon's job. Or it used to be when I was spry enough/small enough to wiggle into the space. I'm in process of building a unit that will hold the printer and scanner on full extension pull out slides rated at 150 pounds per drawer, which should be adequate.
    Must be some closet!

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Ari, the noise on our particular model is not too bad. It certainly isn't quite but I don't think it's loud enough to disturb someone in room separated by a wall.

I think you'll know as soon you power it on and get a feel for it yourself.

I also think you'll be happy with your decision to use Eversmart exclusively since the quality difference is so significant.

I look forward to seeing your scans soon.
    Thank you, Pali; the video I sent you showed a somewhat quiet scanner operation, so dust should now be my main concern.

My iQSmart 2 was pretty quiet, not enough to disturb me, even in the same room.

Kumar

Hi Ari

Just a regular closet - I use a spare room as an office and it has a full size closet that I'm adding shelves and cabinets to so I can get all of my camera gear organized in one place.

You'd feel right at home in Tucson - we have the only Interstate Highway in the US that's marked in Kilometers, I-19 from Tucson to Nogales on the Mexican border about 60 miles South of Tucson. It's getting "warm" now - It was over 100F/38C at the house today but only 7% humidity so fairly comfortable.

Here is a quick comparison of Eversmart Pro (LEFT) vs. Scanmate 11000 Drum Scanner (RIGHT). I am blown away with the quality of the Eversmart Pro - it's almost drum quality!

Couple of quick observations about these two scanners:
    - Eversmart Pro has cleaner raw scans. Scanmate has the red color cast but is easily corrected via color profiling.
    - Scanmate has cleaner vibrant colors that match the E6 velvia. This is especially visible around the film markings where Eversmart suffers from light bleeding and muted colors.
    - Scanmate is significantly faster. <-- This was a huge surprise for me. The 2000 DPI scans for a 8x10 on the Eversmart Pro are SLOWWWW
    - For me personally, the Eversmart is almost drum quality and the shadow performance is ridiculous. I expected it to be good but not this good. WOW!

I am making a 2000 DPI scan with the ES Pro and will post true full resolution comparisons once it's done.