Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Pro Scanner Users

Re: Scitex Eversmart Pro Scanner Users

Pali, one more question:
    Is there any practical advantage in scanning B&W negs this way?

That is interesting Pali
    It's been awhile since I touched an Eversmart but if remember correctly for the 8-bit output I either kept the scan in the original ESx color space and later converted into the working (ProPhoto) one in Photoshop or imported the ProPhoto into ES Scan and used it as output profile. I think both worked...
    And BTW in New Color the endpoints set to 32;250 work perfectly for Portra (400 and 160VC) and Ektar.

As to scanning B&W in color mode I always do that as naturally scanner sees in color and having the original info in all 3 channels reduces the risk of banding during image data manipulation (editing and profile conversions). When done with editing just lay over a Channel Mixer layer with Gray Scale checked in PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Pali, one more question:
    Is there any practical advantage in scanning B&W negs this way?
    Ari, I am not sure as I haven't done any comparative BW scans but definitely did about 50+ comparative color negative scans. It is possible that you might get better scans purely because of the AdobeRGB color space vs. sRGB that mine assigns by default. I do invert my BW using ColorPerfect as well because it has a nifty feature to do fine tuning adjustments based on Zones for BW editing mode.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    That is interesting Pali
    It's been awhile since I touched an Eversmart but if remember correctly for the 8-bit output I either kept the scan in the original ESx color space and later converted into the working (ProPhoto) one in Photoshop or imported the ProPhoto into ES Scan and used it as output profile. I think both worked...
    And BTW in New Color the endpoints set to 32;250 work perfectly for Portra (400 and 160VC) and Ektar.

As to scanning B&W in color mode I always do that as naturally scanner sees in color and having the original info in all 3 channels reduces the risk of banding during image data manipulation (editing and profile conversions). When done with editing just lay over a Channel Mixer layer with Gray Scale checked in PS.
    Thank you Sergey for the note about NewColor. I played quite a bit with that as well for my Tango and have yet to nail down the perfect settings for Color Perfect. Once I do, I'll post a write up on my workflow for Tango as well. I am not missing much as my Scanmate 11000 gets everything just perfect for Color Negatives. I am turning into such a scanner hoarder