Thread: using a 45g Toyo Bellows on a 45d

using a 45g Toyo Bellows on a 45d

Hello folks,
    I've lucked into a toyo 45d that was sitting around for years unused. In the inspection process I have discovered that the bellows are just a sieve of hundreds if not thousands of tiny pinholes in all the ridges & grooves of the folds. I have a 45g bellows on the way thats in a slightly different holder frame--I should be able to remove it from that plastic frame sandwich piece and use it with mine...am I correct? It'll be some cleanup, unglue & reglue obviously

Re: using a 45g Toyo Bellows on a 45d

I would think that the new bellows will fit right on. Toyo hasn't changed the fitting on the monorail bellows cameras since the M45, if I'm not mistaken.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I would think that the new bellows will fit right on. Toyo hasn't changed the fitting on the monorail bellows cameras since the M45, if I'm not mistaken.
    Thanks Michael,
    Before I go slicing & dicing I'll scope it all out. My existing frame is a series of small screws about 3-4 per edge on all 4 sides. The replacement one has far fewer screws per edge and looks like it drops into a frame that maybe has a different hold-down scheme looking at recesses molded in. I'm sure it'll be clearer once I see it IRL and not looking at ebay auction pics

The original Toyo 45D bellows had simple metal frames. The later ones, including those for the 45G, have plastic molded frames. Both are interchangeable, with the caveat that some G-type frames are slightly thick, and may not fit the D cameras easily. A little sandpaper should solve that problem. There is no need to remove the bellows from the frames.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    The original Toyo 45D bellows had simple metal frames. The later ones, including those for the 45G, have plastic molded frames. Both are interchangeable, with the caveat that some G-type frames are slightly thick, and may not fit the D cameras easily. A little sandpaper should solve that problem. There is no need to remove the bellows from the frames.

Kumar
    Thanks for the reply Kumar. In looking at the unit then, those small tiny screws only hold the bezel pieces together to sandwich the lip of the bellows between them. I took them all off and the assembly would not budge. Am I correct that it is likely glued in place and I'll need a heat gun of some type to soften it up to disassemble?

To me, in looking at it closely, the flange with the screws is part of the overall casting of the rear standard--it does not come off--I do not see a seam. Granted, I'm a noob when it comes to large format but this appears to me to be one cast piece with the bellows glued from behind. Looking at the picture of the replacement bellows it looks like the frame of the replacement would fit in the recess of my existing standards--am I imagining things?
    I might be onto something or have discovered a mis-statement--my model is an Omega 45d--no Toyo branding on it as far as the makers label goes ...attached is a snap of my casting front standard and a picture of the replacement bellows thats on the way...I'm thinking I will need to remove the new bellows from it's frameClick image for larger version. 

Name:	current bellows.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	150044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toyo_new bellows.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	150045

The Toyo 45E was sold as the Omega 45D by Omega-Brandess in the US. This camera has a fixed bellows. You may be able to remove the bellows from the camera by removing the screws. If the bellows is glued to the frame, you'll have to think of a safe way to remove it. The more difficult part is to remove the bellows from the plastic frames of the new set. If you use a hot gun, the frames may warp. Use as low heat as possible.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    The Toyo 45E was sold as the Omega 45D by Omega-Brandess in the US. This camera has a fixed bellows. You may be able to remove the bellows from the camera by removing the screws. If the bellows is glued to the frame, you'll have to think of a safe way to remove it. The more difficult part is to remove the bellows from the plastic frames of the new set. If you use a hot gun, the frames may warp. Use as low heat as possible.

Kumar
    I'm wondering now if this repalcement bellows will fit--found this ad on ebay for new bellows and the 45g has 2 sizes a type A & B from the vendor. Type A which looks like my current bellows is 160mm in size and type B which looks like my replacement is 153mm hmmmmmm http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Ma...IAAOSwl8NVWraM

Don't know. I've never seen a Toyo G needing a type A or a type B bellows. The lensboard and bellows frames are 158mm square (outside dimensions). It's possible that the bellows for the 45E are slightly larger, since they need to be glued to the standard, rather than the bellows frame.

Kumar