Thread: Using Turner-Reich convertible lens

Using Turner-Reich convertible lens

When using the individual elements, do they stay in their normal positions, or they unscrewed and placed either in front of, or behind, the aperture? Also, do both elements use the same size filter, either screw-in or slip-on? Thanks.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

In using either single cell, (better not to say "element", that's just one piece of glass and each T-R cell has five) the normal place for it is behind the diaphragm for a variety of optical reasons. Sometimes people do put it on the front to get a little more effective extension or some other reason, but it is not normal positioning.

Filter size probably differs from one T-R lens to another.

Turner-Reich triple convertibles' lens groups are normally used as follows: both togeather = the shortest focal length, the rear group by itself = the middle length, and the front element by itself is the longest length. Either element is used on the rear of the shutter/diaphram when used by itself unless there is some special reason to do otherwise. The f-stop scale on the shutter face is normally arranged thusly: outside group = both lenses, middle group = rear lens alone, inside group = front lens alone. Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, when using only the front or rear lens, be sure to check for focus shift after stopping down...it has been known to happen!

Vick and Ernest are both correct in their answers. To further elaborate, it has been recommended that you use a yellow or orange filter behind the lens. This is done to reduce color fringing, I believe.

As to filters I made a filter holder out of a 35mm hard lens shade and a 67mm filter reducing adapter. The hard lens shade slides over the lens barrel. I then put the 67mm adapter on the threaded end. Threads to threads with a piece of tape to shim the difference. I then can use my 67mm filters. Sound complicated but I have found in LF you make a lot of the tools you use, they just aren't made or affordable. Both of the lenses I have, a 12" and a 14", have the same diameter barrels front and rear.

Thanks, Marv. What I was really asking was for any one lens, do the two cells (front and rear) use the same filter?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Yes Bill, on the two I have you can use the same filter front or rear. The barrel outside diameter and the threads on the front of the lens cell are the same size front and rear. If you use a slip on filter holder or screw in filters they will fit on the front and rear both.