Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which High Bond Tape for ULF Bellows Installation?

Which High Bond Tape for ULF Bellows Installation?

I want to use high tech tape to install new 11X14 bellows to frame. The small frame is anodized aluminum 10x10" OD. The rear frame is 17X17 OD " bare wood.

By using frames for the bellows I can remove the bellows as my DIY 11X14 camera changes.

I got the idea of tape from watching a TITAN Camera assembly YouTube. Below is the link to the scene where he uses double sided tape 'twice'! He puts a layer on both the frame and the bellows and then is sticking tape to tape! I would not have considered that idea.

Titan Camera Link https://youtu.be/72eKejgO6eQ?t=152

This type tape used to be hard to get in affordable small rolls. Now McMaster has what I need. $20 for 5 yards is affordable.

But which tape is best for this purpose and why.

McMaster Carr Tape Link http://www.mcmaster.com/#fastening-t...sides/=123xa5x

My Custom Bellows Company bellows have 3/4" folds and is a dense woven fabric, not shiny plastic. It's this cloth that may give a problem.

What I like about tape is the instant strong bond, glues, even double layers of contact adhesive don't compare in speed of usage.

I have used a lot of consumer grade double sided tape and it won't do the job.

Thanks for any input.
    Tin Can

Re: Which High Bond Tape for ULF Bellows Installation?

Thanks for asking this Randy, I am a bit of a connoisseur of adhesives (nerd) and I have always been curious about these new high tech tapes.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Shopping at McMaster can be bewildering, so many choices....

If you really want to tape, my recommendation would be 3M's VHB tapes, relatively thin, and it's black, good service temp,
    I use it all the time, but not for cameras.
    Be sure to anticipate the highest temp that the camera will experience, otherwise the tape will let go
    at the worst possible moment.

Part of gluing bellows to the frame with tape is that the warp and weft of the fabric creates hills and valleys
    if you use a tape that's too thin the tape is contacting the "hills" of the fabric, it also depends on how tight the
    weave is and the material ( nylon, cotton...) coarser weaves will have a more pronounced hills and valleys.
    The VHB tape at .020 at it's thinnest should conform to the hills and valleys if you apply pressure while the tape sets.
    From the Titan camera video it seems like he's using 3M VHB tape or something similar, and it seems to me that
    there's a step that's been glossed over.

Personally brush on contact adhesive would be my choice of adhesive.

Don't know about the Bellows use but book binding tape does work well and last a long time for the flaps on film holders. Also works well for patching bellows leaks as long as you don't have too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post

If you really want to tape, my recommendation would be 3M's VHB tapes, relatively thin, and it's black, good service temp,
    Be sure to anticipate the highest temp that the camera will experience, otherwise the tape will let go

Part of gluing bellows to the frame with tape is that the warp and weft of the fabric creates hills and valleys
    if you use a tape that's too thin the tape is contacting the "hills" of the fabric, it also depends on how tight the
    weave is and the material ( nylon, cotton...) coarser weaves will have a more pronounced hills and valleys.
    The VHB tape at .020 at it's thinnest should conform to the hills and valleys if you apply pressure while the tape sets.
    From the Titan camera video it seems like he's using 3M VHB tape or something similar, and it seems to me that

Good advice on hills and valleys. I am leaning towards this exact tape. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...3242243&rt=rud

I won't be ordering it until Wednesday, so if anybody has any more advice... It has sufficient temp range. http://www.mcmaster.com/#75935a12/=123zj1d

Anything I get will be tested. I used to do material testing. I spent 1972 testing Teflon tape by stretching it on an Instron and weighing burnoff solids in a platinum crucible with an Analytical Balance. I miss the lab...

I also tested contact cement. Modern tape is superior.
    Tin Can

You could always give McMaster a call. They have people who are qualified to answer your questions (and are happy to do so).

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    You could always give McMaster a call. They have people who are qualified to answer your questions (and are happy to do so).
    Wow, I have never called them for advice. Been buying from them for 35 years, so I used to call them.

I'd rather call 3-M. I once had connections there.

Good idea!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post

Upon some empirical testing and careful research, the most cost effective and perhaps best solution will be Pliobond 30 which is high VOC with higher solids content. Rated best Pliobond product for fabric to wood which is my usage.

It seems to be only available from aircraft supply houses which recommend it highly. Good enough for airplanes is good enough for me.

Addendum: Many things are now taped together, including cars, boats and aircraft which use tape to fasten metal to metal in mission critical situations.

Thanks for the advice Jim C!
    Tin Can

Photographer

I don't believe VHB tape is reversible. If you intend to remove the bellows at some future time, you may have a problem. Talking to 3M would be a good idea. I used VHB tape to adhere solar panels to the roof of my camper six years ago and they are still "bomb proof" after thousands of miles at high speeds.
    Keith Pitman

I've used regular Pliobond with good success.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know