Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling Glass

Drilling Glass

Recommendations for a supplier of quality drill bits for glass?

I'm re-purposing some old, large filters and would like to drill some holes in them. I practiced on some scrap glass using 'glass & ceramic' drill bits that wore out almost immediately. I used drilling lube (Mobil 1), with no improvement over some thick conventional lube.

The largest filters are .53" thick (and 8.5" diameter).

Thanks if you can help.
    Jac

Re: Drilling Glass

What size holes?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    What size holes?
    oops! Yes, that is important. Largest hole 12.6mm (1/2" nominal), and 6.4mm (1/4" nominal).

Thanks for the nudge.

I've some experience drilling holes in aquariums. For that, I used diamond bits. They were for bigger holes, but I don't see why smaller ones shouldn't also be ok. Here's a link to one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...320W4Y6ZCPDBWM
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Drew Wiley

They're basically little hole saws with diamond grit attached. Use them with water as a lubricant and at a relatively low (slow) RPM. Take you time, and don't expect an exact hole diameter afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I've some experience drilling holes in aquariums. For that, I used diamond bits. They were for bigger holes, but I don't see why smaller ones shouldn't also be ok. Here's a link to one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...320W4Y6ZCPDBWM
    That is helpful. Thank you. I must admit ignorance, but I do not know how deep a hole I can cut with the Dewalt bit. Will it do 1/2"? Should I just go with the flow and try it? These pieces of glass are as rare as unicorn horns. Thanks for your time.

I've drilled through 1/2" thick aquarium glass with similar bits. I wouldn't be stuck on the Dewalt. I picked it mainly because it was the same type of bit I used, and it popped up quickly on a search. Note that with thick aquarium glass I never had a problem, but if you're using thinner glass, you'd want to come up with a support system to minimize the chance of breakage.

I have done this for an enlarger pin registration system to match my Condit punch. Use diamond drill bits, and get a couple of them because when they overheat they will be unusable. I drilled small holes, and used a dremel in a drill press so I could control the drilling and not risk overheating . Overheating will not only ruin the bit but cause the glass to crack. I had to cool the glass and drill bit with ice water, so I made a reservoir out of plywood and then sealed it with polyurethane. I then could put the glass on the bottom and flood it with water and ice. For precision I got a brass kick plate from the hardware store and cut a strip the right size, then drilled the holes at the right places, placed it over the glass, and used the holes to align the drill bits. If I had not done this there was no way to be consistent and precise. Every 2-3 pieces of glass I had to replace the bits as they would dull, and I was using 3 mm thick glass!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rosenberg View Post
    Every 2-3 pieces of glass I had to replace the bits as they would dull, and I was using 3 mm thick glass!
    Thank you for the caution, Mike. My glass is tempered, colored military stuff of 1/2 inch thick. A daunting project considering my ignorance.

I have done this for an enlarger pin registration system to match my Condit punch.
    Wow! I have a Condit punch and haven't figured out how I can use it. My objectives are first, a true unsharp mask (not as inadequately describe on the home page here), and to use contrast masks. Separate thread maybe?

It sounds like Michael was using a fast rpm. I used cheap no-name diamond hole saws to drill 2" holes in 1/2" thick glass for aquariums. People would come by because I knew how to do it, and so I did quite a few. I could get 10 tanks easy out of one bit. Don't be in a hurry, and keep the glass and bit cooled with water.