Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme wide angle lens for Full Plate

Extreme wide angle lens for Full Plate

My widest angle lens for my Whole Plate camera is a Fujinon 105mm f/8 lens. Fuji specs it as covering an image circle of 250mm. In practice, it covers a smidgen more and is able to cover the Whole Plate format on-center.

Am looking for an even more extreme wide angle lens. Whole Plate diagonal is 270mm. Actual image on film's diagonal is 260mm. Final 6"x9" print's diagonal is 254mm. Vade Mecum lists 60mm and a 75mm Hypergons, but I've never come across one FS.

I did acquire a 90mm f/14 Berthiot Paris Perigraphe but sadly doesn't fully cover Whole Plate.

thanks

Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Full Plate

The Schneider Super Angulon 90 looks promising, the XL version has an image circle 259mm, 110 degree FOV.

A Protar V would be a good one. A 4 7/16" focal length will cover stopped down, or the next size, 5 9/16 will cover open at F18.

90mm super angulon xl

I'll go ahead and add a +1 for the 90XL.

For reference, here's what it covers when on 8x10:

Focused down to just about a foot in front of the camera. Notice the lens was slightly out of center unintentionally. The bottom L/R show the bed of the camera...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks... My older Schneider catalogue only lists the 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon which covers 235mm. Didn't realize that the XL covers so much more. Cost, including a central ND filter, bit more than I planned on but hopefully will find one at a good price in time.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    My widest angle lens for my Whole Plate camera is a Fujinon 105mm f/8 lens. Fuji specs it as covering an image circle of 250mm. In practice, it covers a smidgen more and is able to cover the Whole Plate format on-center.

Am looking for an even more extreme wide angle lens. Whole Plate diagonal is 270mm. Actual image on film's diagonal is 260mm. Final 6"x9" print's diagonal is 254mm. Vade Mecum lists 60mm and a 75mm Hypergons, but I've never come across one FS.

I did acquire a 90mm f/14 Berthiot Paris Perigraphe but sadly doesn't fully cover Whole Plate.

thanks
    If you find a Hypergon for sale,which does happen occasionally, you need to be prepared to max out a credit card or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I'll go ahead and add a +1 for the 90XL.

For reference, here's what it covers when on 8x10:

Focused down to just about a foot in front of the camera. Notice the lens was slightly out of center unintentionally. The bottom L/R show the bed of the camera...
    Had the same unintentional slightly out of center problem when using my 5.9” No. 5 Gray Periscope lens on my 11x14 Chamonix. The lens covers 11x14 but absolutely just barely, bordering on not really. Solution for me is to frame the image on the GG, stop the lens down, take the back off, and then go to each of the corners and view the aperture. Move the lens ever so slightly to when it disappears at the same distance from each of the corners. Then I know the lens is on center. It's a pain to do but works.

Due to the camera bed coming into the frame anyway my solution is a 6x10 crop .

I believe if you look at many of Clyde Butcher's images, you'll notice a similar crop. He uses a 90XL on 8x10 too.

I happen to know someone who could say more about the Hypergon, but I'll let him chime in one day if he wants.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    If you find a Hypergon for sale,which does happen occasionally, you need to be prepared to max out a credit card or two.

Actually a 75mm Hypergon-Doppel Anastigmat D.R.P. Cp Goerz Berlin now up at auction for only $3,750.00. The funny/sad part is that it's probably a buy for that price. Vade Mecum states that the Topogon replaced the Hypergon. Have seen a Topogon up for sale in the States but for an exorbitant asking price.