Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you mount enlarger lens to lens board without lens flanges?

How do you mount enlarger lens to lens board without lens flanges?

I recently bought two enlarger lens for my new enlarger: Rodenstock Rodagon 210mm and 240mm. Unfortunately both of them come without lens flanges. How I can mount them to Beseler lens board (aluminum)? Or I can find wood lens board on Ebay.

Re: How do you mount enlarger lens to lens board without lens flanges?

Get a flange. If nothing else, Grimes makes or has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Get a flange. If nothing else, Grimes makes or has them.
    +1

Neither lens will actually mount to a Beseler board as they have too large a mounting thread for the Beseler board. You would need Grimes to make up a solution for you, but it will not be as simple as a lens flange.

Quote Originally Posted by originalphoto View Post
    I recently bought two enlarger lens for my new enlarger: Rodenstock Rodagon 210mm and 240mm. Unfortunately both of them come without lens flanges. How I can mount them to Beseler lens board (aluminum)? Or I can find wood lens board on Ebay.
    Do the two lenses need a 39mm threaded flange? That should be a very common FleaBay item.

Personally, I would not use a wood lens board. There should be a TON of metal Beseler lens boards out there.

Before you look on FleaBay, call a couple places here in Atlanta, Georgia that specialize in used photography and darkroom equipment:
    Wing's Camera
    http://www.wingscamera.com/
    (404) 636-4406
    Tell Mike I sent you.

Quality Camera
    http://www.qualitycamera.com/
    (404) 881-8700

Then in Columbus, Ohio check with Columbus Camera Group. The last time I dropped in I was amazed by how much used photography and darkroom equipment they had on hand.
    http://columbuscameragroup.com/
    Phone: 614-267-0686
    Email: info@columbuscameragroup.com

Neither lens will actually mount to a Beseler board as they have too large a mounting thread for the Beseler board. You would need Grimes to make up a solution for you, but it will not be as simple as a lens flange.
    True Bob I think SKG stocks them they're on his website L

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Do the two lenses need a 39mm threaded flange? That should be a very common FleaBay item.

Personally, I would not use a wood lens board. There should be a TON of metal Beseler lens boards out there.

Before you look on FleaBay, call a couple places here in Atlanta, Georgia that specialize in used photography and darkroom equipment:
    Wing's Camera
    http://www.wingscamera.com/
    (404) 636-4406
    Tell Mike I sent you.

Quality Camera
    http://www.qualitycamera.com/
    (404) 881-8700

Then in Columbus, Ohio check with Columbus Camera Group. The last time I dropped in I was amazed by how much used photography and darkroom equipment they had on hand.
    http://columbuscameragroup.com/
    Phone: 614-267-0686
    Email: info@columbuscameragroup.com
    That will not help him. He needs much larger flanges then 39mm and the size he needs will not fit his board.

Don't forget, the Besler is a 45 enlarger and accepts normal focal length lenses that would be used on a 45 enlarger.
    But he must have the 810 conversion head as he has 2 lenses for 810. The problem with these two lenses us that they just won't fit the enlarger's lens boards. That is why Beseler sold the Rodenstock process lens for the conversion as it has a much smaller thread mount and will fit the board. It just was never a good lens for enlarging though. He will have to go to Grimes if someone else who can manufacture an adoption.

Blank boards can be bought and drilled to appropriate diameter. My 210 Apo-Rodagon fits nicely on the Beseler board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Blank boards can be bought and drilled to appropriate diameter. My 210 Apo-Rodagon fits nicely on the Beseler board.
    Why would you use an old process lens rather then an enlarging lens? The Rodagon will easily put your lens to shame for enlargements.

You can mount ANY lens to a board using Epoxy Putty. Wait! I hear you cry -that is non-reversible !.
    Not so - if you use a release agent ( I used Petroleum Jelly - Vaseline is one brand ) to coat the threads of the lens , an EL - Nikkor 150 ,which came,of course,without the adapter. Form a ring with the putty,let set overnight. My lens unscrews cleanly,should I need it to, but,you have to wonder - how often does one have to change an enlarger lens and board?