Thread: SCANNER SCITEX EVERSMART PRO

SCANNER SCITEX EVERSMART PRO

i have the oportunity to buy a SCANNER SCITEX EVERSMART PRO, but i wonder if i can use it with a G4 1,25 and Mac Os X ...
    Is it a good scanner for 6x6 to 4x5 negs ? where can i download new drivers for it ? how much shall i pay for it ?
    Shall i shop for a second hand imacon instead ? best valu for money model (4x5 neg) ?
    thanks

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Not their best scanner, but still one of better flatbed scanners. I have made several scans on that one and was quite happy with results. In my firm, we have two EverSmart scanners, but newer models, Supreme and Supreme II. Both are connected to G4, but still with System 9! I have tried to work with OS X (10.3) but was unable to make connection. oXYgen (scanning software) could see the scanner, but all I was geting were some errors (don't remember now what was on those messages...). I was told that it can be used on 10.2 (10.2.6 as I remember) but I didn't try that combination. Scanner was in my studio just for a few days while scanning room was "redecorating"... (sorry on my clumsy english). And, those two scanners have some scsi-firewire adapter, and I don't remeber now was EverSmart Pro a SCSI scanner, or had some PCI card (like old leaf backs)... check that too.

I think it required a PCI card - I don't know if there is an OSX version of the older controller software either.

Those scanners sold for over 9k originally, I don't know if I would pay more than 2k for one now (less if it doesn't have the card and software packaged with it). Personally, for 120 and 4x5 work, the imacon's are hard to beat - especially if you don't need the oversized bed of the scitex.

This is late to the party.

The Eversmart Pro originally sold for over $29,000. It was only slower that the Pro II and the Supreme. It was also slightly lower max res but the images are superb.
    The software is OS 9 only. If you upgrade to Pro II specs you can use OXYgen SW and OSX.
    I have seen them for sale about $5000. Pro II for $7500.

For $8500 an IQsamrt 1 is very fast (50 scans per hour) and superb results. Also PC and Mac SW.

Also late to the party but the latest information from Creo US is that the Pro does not work with OS X and there are no plans to produce software to permit such operation. Further the Pro II, the current model,, only works with OS 10.3.x and their are no plans to provide software to permit operation with OS 10.4 (Tiger). According to them they might and they might not eventually produce the software for the Pro II but there is nothing in the works now.

I have an EverSmart Pro for sale, if anybody wants one. The scanner is wonderul but it's time to upgrade. 310.377.2934