Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring Speed Graphic 25060

Restoring Speed Graphic 25060

Looking to restore this little guy. Super new to 4x5 I didn't want to speed tons of money yet. I want to test drive this type of format. I won this for 102$. It came with tons of 4x5 film and some 120 film. Tips for cleaning the leatherette such as replacing and refitting, cleaning tips, do's and donts. I can send more pictures. Need advice please. Don't say throw it away. I don't need that type of negativity.

Re: Restoring Speed Graphic 25060

Your best online resource is probably graflex.org. The book "Graphic Graflex Photography" by Morgan and Lester can usually be found at a reasonable price. Be sure you get the 8th or later edition.
    Regards, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobm4360 View Post
    Your best online resource is probably graflex.org. The book "Graphic Graflex Photography" by Morgan and Lester can usually be found at a reasonable price. Be sure you get the 8th or later edition.
    Regards, Bob
    Any tips on cleaning it up?

Bill Kostelec

Find out what is working and what isn't first. If the shutters are good then check the bellows for light leaks. If that's good then start thinking about clean-up. I would use something like mink oil on the leather. Clean out any accumulated dust and gunk inside the box. Wipe down the rails and metal parts and go from there. If it works, it's worth the elbow grease. The top viewfinder can be easily disassembled and cleaned and reassembled. Graflex.org is a bonanza for you.

I wouldn't throw it away. If its functional as is, I would use it as is. As for restoring, you have several options. You can restore it to a complete original condition, do a quick and dirty restoration, or strip it.

Complete restoration is possible, as replacements parts and new leatherette is available, but there are so many good versions of this camera available for relatively little money that it probably wouldn't be economical unless it was a labor of love, or the particular camera had some sentimental value.

Option two would be clean it up good, glue down the loose leatherette, sand or steel wool corroded surfaces, and spray paint those surfaces that previously had paint. A few hours work would make it look better.

Option three is to strip it. Take off all the leatherette and extraneous parts (those parts needed fro a press camera but not a simple view camera), then polish the aluminium and stain and/or varnish the wood. There are examples of this on line (I think for Crowns, but would be the same for Speed).

The most important is not appearance, but function. That means a bellows without holes, lens with working shutter and know speeds, functional focusing and back. If these are there, then you can shoot. If the focal plane shutter works, that is an added bonus, as it allows the easy use of any shutterless lens with a focal lenght less than the bellows extension (in this case I think it is about 12' or 300mm.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do. I'm sure people will have specific advice for specific questions.

Lachlan 717

Strip it back and turn it in to a Woodie.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

You can probably improve the function of the focal plane shutter with some exercise, gradually increasing tensions and shutter speeds. the plate with the winder can come off if you need to clean dried lubricants under there, but don't do it if you're not mechanically inclined. I'd check and see that the bellows are light tight and preferably the focal plane shutter is light tight, and use it for a while as is if it checks out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by bobm4360 View Post
    Regards, Bob
    Any edition of Graphic Graflex Photography will be useful. They all cover your Anniversary model. The photographs do not show the presence of the spring back and focusing panel. If these are missing, restoration may be impractical. Finding these parts online might be difficult. They are sometimes removed from cameras like yours for improvised 4x5 backs on other types of cameras. Missing wood pieces also complicate a complete restoration. Tim is right: Much better Speed Graphic cameras are available, often at moderate costs. You did get a later lens than the original one on this camera. Also, the focusing bed appears to be from a later model, and has an extra set of infinity stops. If the film is still good, you got a bargain. Even film that is no longer good for fine photographs is useful for testing and experimenting.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Perhaps I'm missing something in the pictures, but it looks as if the back is missing. If that is the case, you have more issues to address than just improving the appearance.