Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cc401 needs long tripod head screw - what tripods are recomended

Cc401 needs long tripod head screw - what tripods are recomended

My CC401 camera's tripod socket is sunk about 1/4 inch below the 'mounting block'.
    What tripod heads are recommended that have a long fixing screw that will hold the camera safely?
    I have a regular tripod, but when fitted, the CC401 is only held by a couple of threads.

[I've thought of replacing the existing screw with a longer one, but the female thread that holds the tripod head to the tripod has stripped - so the existing tripod can be considered dead.]

regards
    Tony

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Cc401 needs long tripod head screw - what tripods are recomended

Hello Tony, on the female threaded hole you can buy a Helicoil of the same size as the original thread. You drill out the hole, rethread to the Helicoil size, and install. Very quick and easy. Regarding the few number of threads tying the tripod to the camera, on motion picture cameras only 4 threads are used on 3/8's 16 screws.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    Hello Tony, on the female threaded hole you can buy a Helicoil of the same size as the original thread. You drill out the hole, rethread to the Helicoil size, and install. Very quick and easy. Regarding the few number of threads tying the tripod to the camera, on motion picture cameras only 4 threads are used on 3/8's 16 screws.
    I think Helicoil is out of business..Pep Boy's stocks the "PermaCoil" brand and it's pretty much the same thing under a new name.

Big Negs Rock!

Good to know. Thank you.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

I agree that a helicoil is one way to go. But UK suppliers commonly sell metric - not imperial sizes.
    Also the cost is prohibitive circa $60 - $70 - for which cost I can get a new head.

Based on Mark's comments regarding the number of (3/8 inch) threads, can I assume that within reason the thread length of any tripod head will do.
    I vaguely seem to remember a forum comment about Titall(??) tripods having a longer than 'normal' exposed thread length.

regards
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    I agree that a helicoil is one way to go. But UK suppliers commonly sell metric - not imperial sizes.
    Also the cost is prohibitive circa $60 - $70 - for which cost I can get a new head.
    3/8"x16 is metric and common imperial as well. No difference. That's crazy money. I should think a mechanic could do it for less.

The other thing to try is making an adapter plate with a long countersunk screw that threads deep into the camera block, and the plate is tapped with the two sized threaded holes for tripod head mounting... This could be metal, hardwood, plywood, etc... For a wood block, you can use T-nuts for the tripod head screws...

I had also heard what Jac said about the common threads, as the standard bolts were a carryover from the carriage making trades...

Steve K

$60 for a PermaCoil kit with 5-6 inserts and the tap and the coil insert tool ? Are you kidding me ?

I'm with Jac....any garage worth a crap has the tools to insert a coil insert. Mechanics strip threads all the time.

The Perma-Coil 3/8x16 kit should be no more than $30, and it should include a dozen inserts. I do no know if it includes the necessary drill. 25/64". Then you are left with enough to last a lifetime. Still, I'd go with the suggestions to find a mechanic who probably has all that already.

To answer the OP's question about a tripod/head that works well with the CC401, I had the same issue, and I got an original (Marchoni) Tiltall, and it works well. So, I'd recommend getting a Tiltall.