Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth continuing with PS and LR subscription?

Re: Worth continuing with PS and LR subscription?

Since I've found that I'm shooting more and more film lately and working in the darkroom, I recently let my subscription go. I have CS6, if I really need PS; and I have a program called PhotoLine that I'm growing to like quite well. In many ways, PL is more powerful and let's me do things that I can't even in PS.

Hi Alan

for me the exact opposite. Lightroom cannot do all the things I can do in PS and I doubt it ever will.
    I am thinking advanced channel blending and sharpening, LAB colour corrections, Film Separation for alternative printing to name a few.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Since I've found that I'm shooting more and more film lately and working in the darkroom, I recently let my subscription go. I have CS6, if I really need PS; and I have a program called PhotoLine that I'm growing to like quite well. In many ways, PL is more powerful and let's me do things that I can't even in PS.

I spent the big bucks for PS7, but found that PS Elements does everything I want (and a lot more than I can figure out how to use), and upgrade it every few 3 years. The real cost is in the books to explain it.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Alan

for me the exact opposite. Lightroom cannot do all the things I can do in PS and I doubt it ever will.
    I am thinking advanced channel blending and sharpening, LAB colour corrections, Film Separation for alternative printing to name a few.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

Yeah, I was a LR user since the very beginning; as a matter of fact, I got my first license for free because I was a RawShooter Premium user. Anybody remember that software? Over the years, I found that I just don't shoot enough digital to need a DAM product like LR. Some of the new features in PS CC 2015 were attractive to me, but not enough to maintain that monthly stipend!

Not sure what you're exactly referring to when you say "LAB colour corrections", but in PhotoLine I can perform LAB corrections (like with curves, for example) as an adjustment layer! No switching back-n-forth between modes, etc; just a single example of why I like PL better than PS. Wanna talk about brushes? In PL, I can set a curve that defines that nature of the brush! Try doing that in PS... Well, not here to be a fanboy of any particular software...we all use what works for each of us...and, that's the way it should be.

I have never heard of Photoline so that shows you how much I know.

I am getting too old to learn a complete new software- so don't tell me more about it… I need to concentrate on what I already know.

I like lightroom but really never got into it like PS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Hi Bob,

Yeah, I was a LR user since the very beginning; as a matter of fact, I got my first license for free because I was a RawShooter Premium user. Anybody remember that software? Over the years, I found that I just don't shoot enough digital to need a DAM product like LR. Some of the new features in PS CC 2015 were attractive to me, but not enough to maintain that monthly stipend!

Not sure what you're exactly referring to when you say "LAB colour corrections", but in PhotoLine I can perform LAB corrections (like with curves, for example) as an adjustment layer! No switching back-n-forth between modes, etc; just a single example of why I like PL better than PS. Wanna talk about brushes? In PL, I can set a curve that defines that nature of the brush! Try doing that in PS... Well, not here to be a fanboy of any particular software...we all use what works for each of us...and, that's the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

* ...and wait for the 16-bit version of GIMP to arrive on popular platforms
    I got tired of waiting for that. It's been a few years. I think highly of Gimp, but it's not a replacement for PS.

It's always worth trying the various alternative software options before settling on something or buying something expensive.

I could almost live with lightroom if I were all digital, but the content aware eraser/healer thing in PS is worth the $10/mo for cleaning up dust from scans. Works much nicer than the clone tool of yore. The general speed of PS is tremendous with it's GPU enabled processing. I'd need a crazy computer to keep up with other software.

I know a few 'film' makers who jump in and out of Full Adobe CC when they need it and obviously when they don't. Part time filmmakers.

CC is 'activated' or 'deactivated' and doesn't 'have' to be deleted. Use it for a 2 month project, deactivate and return next year.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-clo...embership.html

Yes, that refers to full CC suite, but it also can be done on the Photo Suite of PS & LR.

Another trick is to share the cost with one other person, however only one user it at a time. 2 computers are allowed to load the Suites, call your buddy.

Don't forget to get your Apps. http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/catalog/mobile.html

I use it all, don't share. No I won't...
    Tin Can

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I had an idea that the software would lock if the subscription was cancelled, but wasn't certain. Although I have a real darkroom at long last (number 6 in my nomadic history), I think I'll still keep the subscription going, for the odd digital work I'll do... even though Adobe has increased the cost to AU$11.99 per month.

Be aware that slow connections can make for problems with the cloud version at times.

Not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Be aware that slow connections can make for problems with the cloud version at times.
    Tin Can