Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Recent Posts Disappear from Thread Listings

Re: Most Recent Posts Disappear from Thread Listings

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    ...threads in the FS/WTB sections are now ordered by time of initial post, not by time of latest post.
    Is it just me...I much prefer the way it was - when a FS thread is updated it jumps back to the top of the list. Can someone explain to me why "...ordered by time of initial post, not by time of latest post..." is better? I am sure I will get used to it...I think.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Is it just me...I much prefer the way it was - when a FS thread is updated it jumps back to the top of the list. Can someone explain to me why "...ordered by time of initial post, not by time of latest post..." is better? I am sure I will get used to it...I think.
    There have been several long threads discussing the issues, Randy. The revised guidelines and new sections represent the optimal compromize.

Fair enough.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

My first sale under the new rules also surprised me with my thread remaining down in the list after I revised the price. I'm a very technical guy, but don't spend time "optimizing my views" on this or any site. I suspect 99% of forum members don't either. So if I am lowering my price daily, with the assumption buyers will notice this, am I just risking lowering it too much, until a savvy hacker user "discovers" my listing after 5 drops? This invisibility when lowering prices (about the only good reason to bump more often than the once a month or whatever it has gone to) doesn't help sellers, buyers, or anyone. It hides a good deal for buyers, and causes me to risk lowering it way more than needed, because no one is noticing. Sorry, but changing how things bump to the top was not needed. STOPPING people from bumping daily for no reason other than list order was.

This was a solution looking for a problem.

I thought the old "bump" once in 7 days was working okay.

Kumar

Me too. So the new sort works how again? By when an item is listed? It never can rise to the first page again, in it's life on the board? So why bump EVER? It's not a bump if it doesn't adjust the sort. So Johnny posts a desirable Struss Pictorial. By noon that day, it is pushed down by 10 people selling $3 shutter cables, 4x5 holder darkslides, digital camera filters? Johnny decides to add a few pictures to get more views, but by that evening it's 3 pages into the For Sale section.

The average person will never see an ad after the first 4 hours. People aren't advanced users, and don't like scrolling, much less adjusting their settings so things work "right." Can we just go back to "right" in the first place?

And honestly, the refrain of "please read the new (multiple links, multiple paragraphs per rule) rules" is getting old. If it's so complicated I have to sit there reading it for 30 minutes, re-reading sections, trying to find the hidden sub rules, it's too complex.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I thought the old "bump" once in 7 days was working okay.

Kumar
    That's the new old bump; the old old bump was done as soon as your ad got to page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    It never can rise to the first page again, in it's life on the board?
    The revised guidelines say:

If an item has not sold in 30 days, the seller may close that thread and post the FS listing again. It is recommended that the seller include the results of any discussion in the original thread to avoid repeating them in the new thread.

That is the only way to bring a listing back to the top.

Again, the issues have already been thoroughly discussed. That discussion is now closed.

As I posted in the other feedback thread on this, it's no surprise that it will take a little while before everyone notices that the guidelines have changed. A certain amount of "please read the new guidelines" moderation during the transition is to be expected. The faster people catch on, the sooner that will go away.