Thread: 4x5 Beseler negative carrier

Do or do not. There is no try.

4x5 Beseler negative carrier

I've got two of these, one with glass and one without, both of which have openings of 3-5/8" x 4-5/8". I never realized they stole this much image until yesterday when I started working on a negative with fairly tight cropping on the short dimension and I'd really like to get that image area back. Did Beseler ever make a carrier with a larger opening? I know there was a 4x5 pack film holder but I don't know its dimensions.

Yes, I could have either of the holders I've got machined, the glass one where the (removable) glass does the holding, but it sure would be nice to simply buy something.

Re: 4x5 Beseler negative carrier

Check the negative carrier number I have a hunch you may have a 9 x12 cm or a pack film/polaroid carrier. Check this link,

http://www.oresteen.com/bes%2045%20carriers.htm

People are practically giving away this stuff, I'm pretty sure you could find one on Ebay cheap. The carriers are aluminum so they are easy to cut, I made a pan carrier for 24 x 56mm out of a full size 35mm carrier with a small saw and a file.

Hope this helps. Best Mike

You could consider using a pice of glass on it's own. tape the edges to keep light from going out.
    you might notice the loss in quality if it isnt optical glass, but maybe not.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Mike, I checked the site and definitely have 4x5 carriers. The pack film holder might do the job as it's slightly wider in the 4" dimension (google is a wonderful thing), but there aren't any on eBay at the moment. I guess it's file time.

The idea of using a simple sheet of glass is interesting, I may also pursue that, thanks.

Get a piece of black matte board (black all the way through) and cut the openings to size (2 pieces). Tape the negative in place and sandwich them together. Position in the enlarger to avoid any cutoff from the lamphouse.
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

There is a glass 4x5 carrier which projects the entire piece of film. I have one, and in fact have never seen the one you speak of, not even during the 10 years I had the store. It should be easy to find one at a decent price. Another possibility for you is a 4x5 Negaflat.

Update:

This afternoon I visited my machinist friend and spent a bit of time using his Bridgeport mill. We enlarged the narrow dimension of my glassless (8322 = 54CN) carrier by 0.120" (~3mm) and enlarged both dimensions of my AN glass carrier (8343, and stamped "Anti-Newton") by the same amount. Tomorrow I'll re-black the machined edges and I'll be in business. Making a carrier out of black matboard would probably have been quicker, especially given that I have some, but using the Bridgeport was much cooler

I did check my Negaflat - it's even narrower! The tensioning mechanisms are on the film's long edges and take up even more of the short dimension than was obstructed by the standard carriers.

You will be surprised (and/or shocked) if you precisely measured all of your neg carriers, roll film back openings, roll film cameras, even exposed processed negatives!!!

All over the place!!!!!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Update:

This afternoon I visited my machinist friend and spent a bit of time using his Bridgeport mill. We enlarged the narrow dimension of my glassless (8322 = 54CN) carrier by 0.120" (~3mm) and enlarged both dimensions of my AN glass carrier (8343, and stamped "Anti-Newton") by the same amount. Tomorrow I'll re-black the machined edges and I'll be in business. Making a carrier out of black matboard would probably have been quicker, especially given that I have some, but using the Bridgeport was much cooler

I did check my Negaflat - it's even narrower! The tensioning mechanisms are on the film's long edges and take up even more of the short dimension than was obstructed by the standard carriers.
    Good Job, I've never really paid that close of attention. Now you got me thinking about modifying a glass carrier so I print the entire negative

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Good Job, I've never really paid that close of attention. Now you got me thinking about modifying a glass carrier so I print the entire negative
    The extra 3mm in both dimensions allows me to print almost the full negative, losing maybe just 0.5mm or less in each dimension. There's definitely the potential to remove a bit more metal so you could print part of the rebate area if black borders are your thing. I wonder if the width of the film retaining rails is the same for all film holders?