Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will I have issues with this lens board now?

Re: Will I have issues with this lens board now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Remember ... every time you use rise/fall or shift you move the lens off-center. Having it mounted slightly off-center shouldn't be a problem.
    As an aside, I sometimes purposely mount a lens on a board with a hole that is not "centered" to the camera, but a bit higher (specifically using center-drilled Technika boards instead of the offset boards; these latter are "centered" to the camera, the center-drilled boards mount the lens a bit higher than centered to the camera). This allows me to squeeze a little extra rise out of the camera before I run out of front rise. Similarly, I can often mount a lens on an offset board upside-down on the camera to accomplish the same thing. I've often thought that a design with a square lens board that could be mounted in all positions and a mounting hole drilled off-center to the camera center would enable a bit extra rise and shift than the camera movements themselves would allow with a centered lens. This would be convenient for those of us who are constantly running out of rise and shift on our wooden folders...

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by SoulfulRecover View Post
    If I tighten it down, it wont move anywhere. Just didn't know if it was off center would cause an issue. I would think the image circle would be large enough that it could handle a small shift to a side. I was thinking about maybe adding a little black felt between the board and lens ring just incase there is a light issue as well.
    Use the board.It should not cause you any problems. Use the money needed for a new board to buy film.

Metal lens board? Or is it wood?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Had the same thing happened when I drilled out the Copal #1 board on my Arca Swiss for my 15" Wollensak which is in an Ilex #4 shutter. The hole is a bit above center but I have enough rise/fall and enough coverage from that particular lens that it works out just fine.