Views:	31 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	149033
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	149034

Without any information about the front and rear lens diameter information, no total length, speed..

With the serial number, I know that are early lens (from about 1857) without waterhouse stop slot with approximate speed of f4, and I suspect that are small, with a coverage of 4x5 aprox.

Is this information correct? Can someone provide me more information?

Thank you very much!!!

Miquel.

Re: Petzval lens coverage Voigtlander & Sohn Nš6409

Petzval lens article

http://antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html

Probably a 1/4 plate lens.

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Funny you should ask!

I happen to have had some correspondence with the seller, assuming it was size 3B, which has a front diameter of 2 zoll (2"). This is the smallest first series Portrait Petzval listed in the early catalogues. I assume there must have been a 2B and 1B!

It has glass diameter of 1.5" - I would guess it is a 1B. Coverage would be much less than 1/4 plate, which the 3B was designed for! Perhaps 2x3"? This was an ebay item and it looked very good, but not exactly OK for large format.

BUT:
    I do have an earlier Voigtlander catalogue which covers the period better. It is period when the lens had to be adjusted between GG image and use of dark slide, because the early Petzvals did not have the visual and emulsion focussing distance alligned. It uses the old germanic measurement system which is similar to, but not identical with, the Inch system.

There is a small one here (no. 1) which has a lens diameter of 40 dzw (?) which is translated into 42mm, which might be the sellers "1.5 inches". It has a given efl of 5.5 inches (5.5 zoll) and the format is given as 4 zoll (4"). I have no idea as to what this 4 means. Image circle or 4x4?

Steven - with all due respect, I think this is a # 1 "1/4 plate" lens. This lens dates to about 1857 +/- 1. The 1864 Voigtlander catalogue lists lens a model A for CDV and a # 1 both which can both cover 1/4 plate.

The # 1 is listed with glass diameter of 1 9/15" and 1 5/8 for use on 1/6 and 1/4 plates. I believe he probably has the # 1 lens given his 1.5" measurement.

Most 1/4 plate Petzvals had glass diameters between 1.5 - 1.75"

Best
    Dan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vl64.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	149035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vl64.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	149035

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Yes, the English catalogue matches the German ditto I mentioned at the end. So image size 4 zoll must mean "OK for 1/4 plate". Serial no. 6409 is before the WHS slot/stop introduction date and before the "co-incidence of visual and chemical focus" note on your catalogue.

Later:The date given for the introduction of WHS slot/stops is 1858. Certainly serial number 8292 (from 1859) has them.
    The date given for redesign for matching chemical/Visual focus introduction is put at 1861.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 31-Mar-2018 at 02:05. Reason: Voigtlander redesign dates.

Thank you for this interesting information, yes the lens was on e-bay and I was interested for future purchase.

Regards,

Miquel