Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diagnosing a problem with Kodak Master View front standard

Diagnosing a problem with Kodak Master View front standard

Does anyone know of someone who might have a used Kodak Master View for parts? The front standard on mine has got something bent or twisted. My best guess is the front frame assembly but the lens board on it looks to square up. Be great to find a complete front standard without a lens board but the front frame assembly its self would be great to find.
    Ryan Mills

Re: WTB: Kodak Master View parts

Ryan - I hope you find someone with parts, but it may be difficult. I found this parts diagram for the front of a Master View:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/k...ter_camera.htm

It may help you determine exactly which pieces are tweaked. It looks to me like the "Upright Assembly" and/or the "Support Assembly" would be likely parts to bend if the front standard got hit. Those look like something that could be removed and straightened. Any chance of posting pictures of the front? Or is the misalignment too subtle to show up?

Len

Well I did narrow it down I think. Its very bizarre, the hash marks on the front frame assembly are not in the same place on both sides. One side is around 4-5mm higher, as for why I have no idea. the metal is notched and painted so it would have to have been at the factory. Only thing I can think of is this is not the orginal and kodak made the notches based on how they mounted on the camera. If thats the case swaping it would do very little good unless its complete and so far I have not found one. Question now is how do I even make sure im at a perfect zero. I'm shooting with lens that dont have great coverage.
    Ryan Mills

example with the hash marks zeroed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160327_130955.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	148903
    Ryan Mills

Ryan,
    I think you should post again to the Cameras forum asking this as an alignment question, not Parts Wanted. Everyone loves a mystery!

To me it looks a bit like the whole front standard is tweaked slightly to the right in the picture.
    The top of the front standard doesn't look parallel to the top of the rear standard; it appears to be slanting down toward the right of the pic. Is that how it looks in real life?

If I had the camera in hand I'd be after it with straight edges, machinists squares and telescoping gauges. Difficult to do that online though.

Len

New Orleans, LA

Could you take a better close up picture of the questionable area?

Re: Diagnosing a problem with Kodak Master View front standard

Given how this discussion has played out I've moved it to DIY with a new title. Once the problem is sorted out, if it turns out that a specific part is needed, Ryan can post a WTB for that.

So here are a few larger images taken with a better camera. Its kind of a challenge to square up perfectly to the camera so take the angles with a grain of salt. I also included an image that has notes for locations 1L, 1R, 2L and 2R. At this point im 90% sure the error lies in the location of the hash marks. As you can see the lens board does not show as thou the Front Frame Assembly (bronze/gold colored metal square around the lens board) is twisted. With that said I have no way of knowing what one if any of the hash marks is right. I have been going on the assumtion that 2R is correct and you can see my pen mark I used for my last shoot. However on that shoot I had coverage issues and light fall off on the bottom of the neg (top of neg when its loaded). This has led me to question if the 2R is in fact correct. Looking at it I can see the hash marks are not directly over the screw in 2 but it may in fact be that both sides are wrong and 2L needs to be corrected as it is now plus whatever 2R is off by. However I dont have the tools to messure this. I am however currious what other KMV's have for a distence at marks 1L and 1R. Note the height of the top Front Frame Assembly vs the total height of the Upright Assembly. Since that is something I can easily messure. At this point I would still rather swap the front standard if I can find one but so far no luck.

http://ryanmills.net/zips/_MG_9137.jpg (pulled back for DOF)
    http://ryanmills.net/zips/_MG_9143.jpg (closer for detail)
    http://ryanmills.net/zips/_MG_9143-Edit.jpg (closer for detail and has notes)
    Ryan Mills

So I got think there have to be photos I can find on google that would show the front standard, everyone one with a HQ image I found showed this same bizarre twisted front. So i'm at a loss as to why they are this way. Hopefully someone who owns one has seen this before.

Examples:
    http://s637.photobucket.com/user/nej...fgkfu.jpg.html
    http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?...camera.131173/
    Ryan Mills

Here is what I am seeing. I will grab my KM810 tonight and compare. It appears to me that the risers on the front standard are tweaked a bit to the right. Assuming that your pics are "aimed straight on" there is deflection of the geometry out of square.

"A" DOES NOT EQUAL "B"

Name:	KM810 Tweak.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	148967

In this view "C" DOES NOT EQUAL "D" But it appears that "E" = "F" so the "tweaked" component would be the uprights. That would make sense, to me as the front base is heavy cast, but the uprights are sheet.

Name:	KM810 Tweak Front.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	148968

That means the uprights are not forming a squared support and that would cant the lens board carrier and offset the hash marks. Measure the diagonals of the uprights from top to opposing bottom pivot point. If the uprights are out of square they won't be equal. Then we can consider actions to "persuade" them back into square.

Cheers,
    Geary
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.