Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing myself

Introducing myself

I hope you don't mind that I'm not posting an actual question. Basically, I wouldn't walk into a party without introducing myself so thought I should apply the same here.

My name's Daniel, I'm 25 years old and live in Guernsey, UK. I've just jumped into large format with both feet having realised the limits of 35mm SLR in many of my favourite areas of photography. In a world where everybody seems to be buying the latest and greatest digital, I've decided to shoot in the opposite direction. I'm looking forward to seeing the unmatched quality of 4x5 but am also excited by the prospect of honing my skills in the more basic and fundemantal aspects of photography. I also have a slight rebellious streak so it makes sense for me to take this route! Digital is still a big part of my photography, currently scanning my slide film, though I'm hoping to start producing more 'finished' trannies in-camera. Landscape/seascape photography is my main passion but I also enjoy close-up and experimental work.

I've purchased a complete Sinar f2 setup including 75mm,150mm,210mm lenses and loads more equipment giving me almost everything I currently 'need'. Through sheer impacience, I also bought a Horseman 45LE at the same time which, although in pristeen condition and better looking in my opinion, I will have to slap back on ebay quickly to pay for the Sinar!

This website has already been of great help to me, thank you. I've got my dark-slides loaded with Velvia and I'm looking forward to finding the time and weather to make that first exposure, and also probably put my back out trying to lug all that gear with me!

Pleased to meet you all, hope to get to know some of better in the near future.

Daniel.

Introducing myself

Nice to hear from another UK photographer. Nice camera set up too!

Introducing myself

Welcome. As long as your a 25 year old dinosaur, you might as well load the holder's with B&W. It's were the art is you know :-)

Introducing myself

Welcome Daniel,

One quick qord of advice regarding your cameras. Don't jump sso fast to put the Horseman up for sale. Try the two out, side-by-side if you can. The Sinar gets a lot more press, and thus many more people are familiar with it than with the Horseman but the Horseman line is every bit as full featured as the Sinar/ IMO at the "entry level" (both are the lowest priced cameras the companies make) the LE is a far superior tool to the F2. It has mor egeared movements and is generally more precise in operation. I also think it sets up and breaks down faster. OTOH, if you plan to lug either of these beasts into the field the Sinar is the clear winner as it weighs many pounds less than the Horseman.

Introducing myself

Hi Daniel,

What a nice posting to read first first thing this morning. I think you will find this forum to be full of helpful, warm and sincere people. My interest started in LF photography in 1971 at the age of 14. Similar circumstances -- everyone was pushing 35mm to the extent of mocking anything larger than 2 1/4 square. This made me rebel and want to learn large format. I think I saw so many photos full of grain, blur and no life that I couldn't see an avenue to quality unless it was from a larger negative (or positive). Today, large format seems more popular than ever.

I agree with Ted Harris on trying out your Horseman for a while. You have started off with some fine equipment and participating on this site will be learning from some of the best!

Welcome...welcome....welcome!

Introducing myself

The path toward the darkslide is a long treacherous one. Enjoy the ride

Eric
    Dad, why is the lens cap on?

Introducing myself

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Beverly Hills, California

Introducing myself

From title, thought it was a Nigerian soilicitation scam come to the LF forum directly. Whew!
    So welcome - never too soon to get started with Large Format!

Introducing myself

Welcome, Daniel.

Introducing myself

Greetings Daniel,

You've come to the right forum... I started using LF just a few years ago and the folks on this site are absolutely the greatest! I can safely say I've learned much of everything I know regarding LF from people like John, Ralph, Ted, Leonard and others.

Have a great Easter Long Weekend, one and all!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!