Thread: scanner software

scanner software

Choice of Vuescan or Picture window pro.
    Is there any advantage of using one over the other for 4x5 scanning and printing with black and white? I dont have either at the moment but would like to get some feedback for making a decision about starting the learning curve with one or the other. Thanks very much for sharing your experience with either.
    Robert

scanner software

They are two different types of application. Vuescan is for scanning, Picture Window Pro is for editing. Vuescan is available multi platform, for Windows, OSX and Linux. Picture Window Pro is Windows only. Both have strong followings and are keenly priced. I use Vuescan under OSX, and personally am very happy with it. Being a Mac user I have only read of Picture Window Pro, I remember one of its useful points being an option to easily remove/reduce chromatic abberations from colour scans. Now I must leave the computer and head down the Somerset coast to hopefully make some nice LF images.

scanner software

There are two readily available third party scanning softeare packages, Silverfast and VueScan. VueScan is by far the less expensive of the two and can bedownloeaded from the net; additionally, it is NOT scanner specific (that is the sofware will work with a wide range of scanners). A demo of Silverfast can be downloaded from the LaserSoft website but I believe you must actually order the CD for the full blown copy. Silvberfast is machine specific, you need a separate set of software for every different model of scanner that you buy. It comes in two versions, AI the full version and SE the 'light' version. Both programs have their proponents. I use Silverfast now but used VueScan for years and have no real partiality to one or the other. For an additional 50-75 on top of the price of a new scanner Silverfast is a fine, robust program but if you have to go out and buy it unpackaged with a scanner it is way too expensive.