Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: do you hang your own work in your home

Old School Wayne

do you hang your own work in your home

Or is that just weird? Sometimes I like to, and sometimes I cant stand looking at it all the time.
    But I'm also about the only one of my favorite photographers whose prints I can afford, and one of my favorites overall, so what else can I do?

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

If you don't like your own work, I don't know who else will. Yup, I hang my own alongside those by people with more talent than I'll ever posess. Nothing wrong with having a rotating gallery.

Hello Wayne,

of course I do hang my pictures in our home! As I like to have them around me, that seems to be the best way to enjoy them and to get new motivation to go out there and try to do a good job.
    Maybe it sounds weird to some people, but who cares about that?

As I cannot afford a real art gallery, I use our home as a private gallery and change the pictures from time to time.

Kind rergards

I hang them in my home, interspersed with photos and artwork from other artists I enjoy and I hang a selection in my day-job cubicle on a rotating basis. I highly recommend the latter as it brings in the occasional sale to help feed the addiction....

Of course, then I have to actually talk to my co-workers. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

Steven

Sure do. What might be weird is that my real keepers are all 8x10's in 16x20 mounts. All on one wall. On another wall are three 11x14's. One is standing the test of time, the other two will be swapped out this weekend. New prints for the family's Easter party. How else do you find out if you really like a print other than to live with it?

One of the wisest bits of info I have learned at a workshop is taht you really need to hang your own work and view a number of picture together. This will make your chronic errors much more visible..EC

We have an 8X16' wall dedicated to my photos with a museum style hanging rod system for multiple pictures, and track lighting. It looks first class and we get much positive response from all who see it. Sorry, I never get tired of looking at my own work.

Absolutely. I've got 15 hanging right now, including a large 0.8 x 1.0 m print that my wife demanded for the front hall. It's the first thing that anyone coming in the house sees. She swears she'll never let me take it down. My challenge is to make a photograph she likes so much that she'll let me replace it.

And Evan is right - hanging a group of your prints together is a great way to see your flaws. It's also a great way for others to see your personal style.

Bruce Watson

Sure do.

To anyone else, it's just a landscape photograph. To me, it's a memento of a hike, a reminder of a great trip, or the culmination of several attempts to 'capture the image'. Everyone sees the photo. I see the photo and all that led to it.

I do, but mostly because of the subject matter, which is my family and friends. The only non-family photos that hang in my house were made by others, including: Sandy King, Jorge Gasteazoro, and Jim Shanesy, none of which are portraits, so they provide a counterpoint to my work, and inspire me to improve it.

Jay