Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pens for signing photographs

Preston Birdwell

Re: pens for signing photographs

Gale, are you refering to me, or Hector?

I have, on rare occasions, signed the actual print. I use a Sikora or a Zig pen when I do so. My preference is to sign the mount or the overmat using HB (about #2) pencil.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    You sign your name on the photograph? Like Olan Mills?

Gale
    if the question is for me: I sign on the photograph, most time lower right corner, but never on the matt. I have always found signatures on the matt as odd because matts can be placed onto another photograph. I make photographs, not matts.

Pigma Micron from Sakura. Archival pigment inks, a variety of sizes to choose from (I prefer #3).

I've run into a couple of things that complicate this issue. I've tried the recommended metalic pens. I like the relative subtlety of the color but they do not stick to the coated photo papers I have tried them on. They will stick to the image area if there is sufficiently heavy ink coverage but they will not stick if the ink is light. They're also terrible on any matte medium.

I do not like signing in the image area at all. I use pencil on matte fine art papers. As for photo papers, I'm still at a loss. I am presently using an extra fine fountain pen and signing below the image but I don't like the darkness of the ink. It calls too much attention to the signature.

I use a normal pencil for inkjet prints (matte paper). I'm reading with curiosity what people use for glossy.

I don't really like my signature written over the image; sort of the tackiness of olan mills or tradition blindly copied over from painting. I sign under the image on the same paper as the image. Not on the matt. I make the matts too, but people don't get my images because they like the matts.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I print almost exclusively in carbon transfer now. When I sign my prints I use the same ink that I put in the "glop" to make my tissue. I sign the print and then mount the print with the signature covered by the over mat. I find this appealing and it feels right. The image and the signature from the same ink just makes sense to me.

Jim

Interesting thread. I have recently tried to sign/mark a "standard" inject print and had problems to find a marker or pen that would work for either front or rear side. Pencil had no chance (semi-matt surface, Epson paper), ball-pen was bare usable (and ugly) and the permanent markers I had at hand would run way too much.

What you guys use with these "plastic" papers? Or are these not worth to be signed ?
    Matus

OK - I was curios enough so I bought 5 different pens and markers (some were mentioned in this thread) and will post how they behave on different surfaces (papers) soon. I did some preliminary tests and indeed interesting results will be coming.
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    OK - I was curios enough so I bought 5 different pens and markers (some were mentioned in this thread) and will post how they behave on different surfaces (papers) soon. I did some preliminary tests and indeed interesting results will be coming.

Interesting, please keep us posted!

I did a window test with a Sharpie and a pigment ink pen. I wrote with both on inkjet paper and stuck them in a window. The Sharpie faded FAST and eventually faded completely, the pigment pen looks like the day I started after many months and much sunshine. I would not recommend a Sharpie.