Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ireland

Re: Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Benton View Post
    I am lucky enough to be spending a month in Ireland the last half of May and first half of June. Have not been back since spending a year at university in Dublin in the 60's and if any Irish members can recommend photo opportunities ( and great pubs) I would be most grateful. We will be staying in counties Kerry, Galway and Donegal and have a small car so can travel around. How is the weather normally in May and June? I have a memory of woodlands dotted with bluebells but can't remember the exact time of year.
    The frustrating thing about Ireland is when you are driving along the "main highway" which is less than 2 normal traffic lanes wide, and see a good photo pop, but realize that there is nowhere to turn off and stop. The Irish have no concept of "road shoulder." Sad to say.

Check out this: South Pole Pub, Main Street, Annascaul, Ireland. It was founded, I think, by Tom Crean of the Shackleton expedition. Inside are photos of the expedition and sculptures of him and his really big dogs in the park across the street. The history alone is worth the stop. On the north side of the highway as I recall.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Re: Ireland

I was in Ireland some years ago. No LF shooting but a lot of B&W pinhole shoots. Let me say Ireland is a marvelous place!
    Some tips on interesting place to visit photographically speaking:
    Gledalough and Upper Lake
    Rock of Cashel (expecially on sunset)
    Dingle Peninsula and Connor Pass
    Cliff of Moher (a bit crowded) and Burren Area
    Aran Islands
    Boyne River near Newgrange

If you like urban landscapes, you can visit Belfast: visit the two neighborhods, the Catholic one and the Protestant one, whith the big wall between them is very impressive. Some of the many graffitti painted on home walls are interesting and could be a photographic subject.