Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tie my tripod to roof rack?

Re: Tie my tripod to roof rack?

Um. Doesn't every American car have a gun rack?

John Olsen

Remember that you've got to keep the weight down. Anything that's on or in your vehicle has to be carried into the motel EVERY night and reloaded the next morning. Definitely take only one tripod and the less expensive one, at that. My old Forerunner was broken into so many times that I stopped counting - I just limited myself to what I could schlepp so that I only lost dirty laundry and small change. Good luck, it sounds like a wonderful trip.

Roof storage seems like a lot of trouble for a one trip use. And reaching up to a car's roof is not a convenient way to get to it.

Try the aforementioned PVC pipe, but inside the car. Then it would be easy to slide it out, and put back in, under all the other stuff you have loaded. And it's obviously more secure inside. I may do this myself on my next long trip.

I lost a tripod that I transported loose in the back of a truck once. Since then I keep photo gear inside the vehicle. It's disappointing to say the least when you get your camera out and discover the tripod is missing

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I've been lucky--I crossed the country nine or ten time now (not always having as much time to do it in)--twenty-one crossings if you count them as one-ways--and I've never had any sort of problem with crime. I'll have to carry the tripod on the outside due to the space needs of my passengers. And, well, if I lose a tripod or two to theft then that will be that. But what I *really* don't want is the thing falling out onto the road while moving. Very much not good for the guy behind me.

For you guys who have done the ABS/PVC thing--does it cause any problems with wind noise? I'm driving an FJ Cruiser with Yakima bars installed. There are three bars. Might want to mount the tube left to right vs forward/rear. That would certainly improve access. Mount it toward the back, too.

I'll get some pipe and try it out this weekend if I can.

Thanks again,

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    For you guys who have done the ABS/PVC thing--does it cause any problems with wind noise
    Mine is a 2011 RAV4 with moon-roof and the cargo must be put far enough to the rear to keep the howling down, so yes, wind noise can be an issue.

An old Honda wagon I had still had a surfboard rack on top… What was strange was sometimes it sounded like gremlins were slapping the roof with the palms of their little hands, when I finally figured that at a certain speed the (even empty) roof rack would create a turbulence that made the slapping sound… (You should have seen the looks on people's faces when the slapping started while they were riding in that car!!!)

What, theres no room in some corner (standing or laying) for a tripod, or under a seat, etc!?!!!! (Cheech & Chong would find a place to stash it!!! And other things!!!) Or take the tripod and leave someone behind… :-)

Steve K

Struan: Of course noise will be an issue.

Anything that goes on the roof will be a source of wind noise at highway speeds.

When I was a child (mid '50s-mid '60s) we had a Ford station wagon. On family vacations my dad would strap on an awkward luggage rack, just like Clark Griswald. On it would go a caravan-camel load of our stuff, all wrapped up in a heavy canvass tarpaulin and wrapped in miles of cloths line. The noise was terrific, especially as my folks believed that air conditioning a car was an opulent luxury bordering on sin . . . .so the windows were always rolled all the way down.

There is more to this story, but I'm saving it for my therapist.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Um. Doesn't every American car have a gun rack?
    No. But a gun rack would work, if the Op had a pick-up truck, but I understand that his vehicle is a sedan. Anyway, many her drive foreign cars now.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    ...For you guys who have done the ABS/PVC thing--does it cause any problems with wind noise? I'm driving an FJ Cruiser with Yakima bars installed. There are three bars...
    Darin, you've got an FJ with three bars and you're worried about wind noise from adding a pipe? How would you tell the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    No. But a gun rack would work, if the Op had a pick-up truck, but I understand that his vehicle is a sedan...
    An FJ Cruiser is far from being a sedan.

for those who uses straps to tie things down, give the webbing a couple of twists and that will kill the buffeting/ slapping sound. and keep the strap tail end to a minimum lest your ears suffer haha
    notch codes ? I only use one film...