Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

  1. #21
    Angus Parker angusparker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    687

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Well, i am still very new to LF and i am trying to move within it slowly or wisely, but i feel to each his/her own and i can't get the right answer, and hence we all keep asking questions or looking for suggestions or recommendations, so also i am not hijacking this thread, but it is almost in the same boat.

    I already have Rode 150 Sironar N and Schn 72 SA XL as brand new, and will skip the lenses i have for Graphlex that are on Graphlex lens boards, not sure what else to get, in my mind there are only 3 lenses i am really interested in to get but i can't make sure, and they are: 90mm, 210mm, and 300mm.

    I have 72 so definitely not thinking about 65 or 75, and 90 isn't that much far but i feel 90 will have something in use beside 72mm, even in my digital side i have many or diffeerent lenses in that ULTRA/Super wide angle side, so why not doing the same, so if that 72mm is nealy as 17mm or 20mm equivalent that what is 90mm, 35mm for example? and i am also thinking to replace that 150 version i have with another 150 better version or quality even if it is least used, but not in rush.

    I really don't know about another FL such as 110, 127, 240,...etc, so if i have 90 and 150 and 210 for example do i really need those lenses i started with in this line?
    Like you said each to their own. Often people think in terms of a multiple for their lenses i.e. starting from the widest lens they multiply the focal length by a factor of 1.5 (or 1.66 if you want more range). So 90, 135, 200, 300 might be one progression for x1.5 for example. Or if you start with 72, 110, 150, 240/250, 350/360. For example, I find for me 110/125 is a sweet spot for moderately wide and I use that FL a lot. But that is a personal choice of mine. For 4x5 I typically head out with 80, 110, 150, 200, 300 and I usually drop the 80 unless I know there is a super wide shot.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ajman - U.A.E
    Posts
    666

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Like you said each to their own. Often people think in terms of a multiple for their lenses i.e. starting from the widest lens they multiply the focal length by a factor of 1.5 (or 1.66 if you want more range). So 90, 135, 200, 300 might be one progression for x1.5 for example. Or if you start with 72, 110, 150, 240/250, 350/360. For example, I find for me 110/125 is a sweet spot for moderately wide and I use that FL a lot. But that is a personal choice of mine. For 4x5 I typically head out with 80, 110, 150, 200, 300 and I usually drop the 80 unless I know there is a super wide shot.
    Fair enough, it is a personal choices or say subjective.

  3. #23
    Angus Parker angusparker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    687

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Interesting info for initiates. I'm sort of like your 4 lens kit with one addition, 90, 120, 150, 210, 305. However I don't understand the importance you put on filter sizes. Buy filters for the largest lens and step up rings for the rest. Leave the rings on all the time and buy cheap lens caps in that size. That way everything is interchangeable. I thought everyone did such?
    I just have an aversion to step-up rings:

    1. If you keep them attached you need to buy new lens caps - extra cost and things to keep track of.
    2. When you unscrew the filter you invariably seem to get the step-up ring attached to it - hassle
    3. You can't use a center filter with a step-up ring - this only affects a few lenses and when you are shooting E6 film.


    Finally, there is a solution where you can have your cake and eat it - a Lee filter system with its set of "ring" adapters. But again more cost and weight.

  4. #24
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    4,967

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    I don't mind step-up rings because I only have two lenses, and will probably use only one, maybe two, filter(s).
    But if I had several lenses and wanted to use half a dozen different filters, I'd be tempted to go with a Lee-type filter holder rather than try and keep all my lenses to the same filter diameter.

  5. #25
    Kirk Gittings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    9,714

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I don't mind step-up rings because I only have two lenses, and will probably use only one, maybe two, filter(s).
    But if I had several lenses and wanted to use half a dozen different filters, I'd be tempted to go with a Lee-type filter holder rather than try and keep all my lenses to the same filter diameter.
    Why? it's simple and cost effective.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

    at age 67
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

  6. #26
    Angus Parker angusparker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    687

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I don't mind step-up rings because I only have two lenses, and will probably use only one, maybe two, filter(s).
    But if I had several lenses and wanted to use half a dozen different filters, I'd be tempted to go with a Lee-type filter holder rather than try and keep all my lenses to the same filter diameter.
    Yes, plus you can get a great lens hood and polarizer that attaches on the front.

  7. #27
    Kirk Gittings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    9,714

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    Yeah but I have the best filters in the world for all my lenses
    Thanks,
    Kirk

    at age 67
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

  8. #28
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    4,967

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Why? it's simple and cost effective.
    I wouldn't want to limit my lens choice on the basis of filter diameter.

  9. #29
    Kirk Gittings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    9,714

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I wouldn't want to limit my lens choice on the basis of filter diameter.
    ?? What I described doesn't limit anything.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

    at age 67
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

  10. #30
    Kirk Gittings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    9,714

    Re: Suggestions for 4x5 Lens Sets (3 lens, 4 lens and 5 lens sets)

    Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    I just have an aversion to step-up rings:

    1. If you keep them attached you need to buy new lens caps - extra cost and things to keep track of.
    2. When you unscrew the filter you invariably seem to get the step-up ring attached to it - hassle
    3. You can't use a center filter with a step-up ring - this only affects a few lenses and when you are shooting E6 film.


    Finally, there is a solution where you can have your cake and eat it - a Lee filter system with its set of "ring" adapters. But again more cost and weight.
    ? 1)Lens caps are cheap (77mm $5) and you have to keep track of the dedicated one too-nothing changes there.
    2)Never have had that problem.
    3)true, but not a problem for me as I don't use them-never owned one even for color.

    advantage? I have the finest filters in the world for all my lenses. 6 lenses, 6 filters-one set.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

    at age 67
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Similar Threads

  1. Meteor cased and sets lens, who knows detail?
    By seanwang in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-Oct-2008, 06:17
  2. Casket Lens sets..anybody use one?
    By Gene McCluney in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-Aug-2008, 20:30
  3. 1 shutter, 2 lens sets
    By jetcode in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9-Mar-2008, 10:02
  4. copal 1 shutter - can I swap lens sets?
    By bill_1041 in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-Sep-2003, 08:02

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •