Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: partial update on the state/demise of new deardorff

partial update on the state/demise of new deardorff

I am not sure if this should be merged with the long ongoing thread about the new LF Deardorff.

I call this a partial update, because i am sure i only have a part of the facts.

Recently, i was in need of some parts for an 8X10 dorff, and found that the Ebay outlet of Deardoff is mostly gone, no response to phone or email in usual channels, and even S. Simmons of View camera magazine who seemed to be in regular contact with Barry, said he has no been able to raise him in some time.

Today i finally sat down to piece together a camera, using parts i got from Barry about 2 months ago (i took me this long to get the other parts ready....) only to find extreme poor fitment on some of them, and other issues. At least i have them, as there seems to be no source for parts at the moment.

Ken Hough, who is a super nice guy, seems to be under the weather, and in some years, i have not been able to get a single part from him.

It seems that this might be the final demise of long lasting brand name.

If anyone else has actual, direct or personal contact with anyone at the LF Deardorff company, or Barry Cochran, please feel free to add to this.

Disclaimer: In order to prevent this thread from becoming a "they ate my homework too" thread, perhaps its possible to kindly ask to limit the comments to those directly relating to the topic at hand, and not the past present or future dealings with the above mentioned, as there is a definitive thread for that already.

Re: partial update on the state/demise of new deardorff

If you want it fixed right contact Richard Ritter ...end of my comments

If you still want a NEW Deardorff Hand-Stitched Leather Strap with LOGO for your 8x10...
    One is still available for $22.00 (BIN) on the bay.

As expected... It of course 'May or May Not' fit.

Yes I have hear of the problem and have turned to making parts as needed. Plus I build up a stock of parts.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Richard, could you organize the sale of complete parts kits for folks that want to build their own? I remain surprised that none of the small manufacturers in China have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Yes I have hear of the problem and have turned to making parts as needed. Plus I build up a stock of parts.
    The problem is that you are kind of somewhat hard to reach by phone/email/LFPF message...

With that said - i will be the first to buy anything you offer for deardorff.
    Please update on this ASAP.

For starters, i would want a bed plate...

Currently I working on a 5week project and an out of town.

Cell phones do not work where I live so why own one there just a black hole that sucks you in, Dial up is the only service we have. Plus when I am working in the shop I have hearing protection on and can not hear the phone. plus there is really good light in the afternoon and why spend it in the shop. By that time of day I have 8 hours of work in.

Both emails and PM get to me

I only have one bed plate and it is being held for a camera that may need it that is coming in. They are hard to come by Deardorff was out of then last time I checked.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Cell phones do not work where I live so why own one there just a black hole that sucks you in, Dial up is the only service we have. Plus when I am working in the shop I have hearing protection on and can not hear the phone. plus there is really good light in the afternoon and why spend it in the shop. By that time of day I have 8 hours of work in.
    That actually sounds like a wonderful lifestyle and place.

I only have one bed plate and it is being held for a camera that may need it that is coming in. They are hard to come by Deardorff was out of then last time I checked.
    When was that? They had them last time i checked, which also the last time i was able to get a hold of them late december of last year.

As a public service - what parts do you have available?

koh, the Cochrans offered to sell me a new bed plate early this year. They were scarce when I searched for one the net and I contacted Deardorff to see what they had. Instead I got my damaged bed plate repaired. My bed plate is on this thread. Unfortunately the machinist retired shortly after he did the work.