Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New HABS HAER HALS 100% cotton digital print requirements.

Re: New HABS HAER HALS 100% cotton digital print requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ( sorry for the mild detour !! )
    I live for detours...
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Schaf,

The problem with the thicker papers in the P600 is that my printer head hits the sides of the thicker cotton sheets when using the multi-sheet feeder because the paper is not bending as sharply upon intake

I print on Canon printers and can adjust the height of the print head based on what type of paper I am using. Once I raised the print head height I no longer had any issues with head strikes on higher gsm papers (fingers crossed). You can also use a device like this one to change the curve of the paper. Using this roller will allow you to put enough of a curve to the paper that when it is flattened in the printer the edge of the paper is ever so slightly lower in relation to the print head so the head won't strike the edge.

When I was speaking of profiles I was referring to custom printer profiles, meaning a custom printer/paper profile. You should of course have you monitor calibrated (I do as well) but both the number of colors and breadth of your grey scale will be greatly improved with the right printer/paper profile. I have found manufacturer profiles have been inferior when compared to a well done custom profile. You are probably aware that the goal of all these profiles is to get both your monitor and printer as close to the International Color Consortium (ICC) standard as possible. When both the monitor and paper are profiled correctly the results are can be amazing. Not to mention saving a lot of time and money on ink and paper.

-Joshua

www.joshuadunnphotography.com

deleted

deleted
    Last edited by pchaplo; 19-Mar-2018 at 21:51.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

deleted

deleted
    Last edited by pchaplo; 19-Mar-2018 at 21:42.
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Also MOAB Entrada Rag Natural 190 -- 15.5 mil. $33 for 25 sheets (matte). Schaf, are you still using Epson Five-Star Matte? If so, it is this stuff?: https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/530648

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    RE: New paper required for digital print cards.
    The June 2015 update to the Heritage Documentation Programs Historic American Buildings Survey Photography Guidelines November 2011, updated June 2015 state:
    "Digital contact prints can be made from TIFFs by scanning the film and printing it on 100 percent cotton, acid-free matte paper using pigment or carbon inks on an inkjet printer. The paper/printer/ink combination used for the digital prints must have a permanency rating of 150 years or greater by an independent rating organization.”

This is a substantial change from the previously recommended Epson 5-Star Matte paper to something much more stable and more than three times as expensive. The guidelines do not specify thickness or that optical brighteners should be avoided, but since they degrade and yellow over hundreds of years, my preference would be to use a “Natural” paper not one labeled “Bright White” that is equivalent to the heavy stock (10+ mil) used on traditional mount cards or the last recommended paper (Epson 5-star was 51 lb - 10.3 mil).

From my research I have found 8.5x11 Arista 100% cotton paper on the Freestyle site:
    Arista-II Fine Art Natural Cotton Inkjet Paper
    330 gsm , 10-15 mil, 8.5x11/20 sheets - Matte...
    100% cotton, acid free.
    at $18.00 for 20 sheets

or Epson Hot Press Natural Inkjet Paper 8.5x11/25 Sheets
    100% cotton, 17 mil, smooth matte, 25 sheets for $23.00

These papers are available at about a dollar a sheet with tax and the occasional missfeed. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a budget-priced, 100% cotton paper, (without optical brighteners which will go yellow eventually) That will meet the new HABS / HAER / HALS standards?

Thanks
    Petroleum Oil Pics

A quick update after 5 years. After transmitting hundreds of "digital prints cards" to HABS, everyone I know, (including Jarob at HABS) has been, and is still using Epson 5* Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte. I upgraded over the years from an Epson R2880 super-clogger to an Epson Surecolor p600 (three actually). Some of my peers are using the Epson p700 and p900. Pigment inks. Lovely results.