Thread: Replacing Roller Block on Jobo Lift Arm

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Replacing Roller Block on Jobo Lift Arm

One side of the groove that the rollers fit into on the lift arm of my CPA-2 broke off and the roller bar needs to be replaced. I have a replacement but how do you remove the roller bar from the arms? There is a black stop bar at the end of the arms that doesn't want to budge.

Thanks,

Thomas

Re: Replacing Roller Block on Jobo Lift Arm

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    One side of the groove that the rollers fit into on the lift arm of my CPA-2 broke off and the roller bar needs to be replaced. I have a replacement but how do you remove the roller bar from the arms? There is a black stop bar at the end of the arms that doesn't want to budge.

Thanks,

Thomas
    They're pretty fun to take off, they're glued in with a silicone adhesive/caulk, I wrapped the end with a rag soaked with
    naptha and wrapped that in a plastic bag to prevent it from evaporating, after a few hours I was able to
    wiggle the end bracket off the rods.
    There may be other silicone removal liquids at the large home centers, they're lye based if I recall correctly, very slow acting.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Clever!

I got tired of having the roller fall off into the trough and finally got around to replacing the roller block. I bought a small bottle of De-Solve-It Contractors Solvent ("The most powerful solvent allowed by law" the bottle reads) from Ace Hardware and squirted solvent into it for a day or so. The stop wouldn't budge. I emailed Omar at Catlabs and he replied that the stop was installed by pressure/friction and the only way to remove it was by force. If you break the rails, he said, you will have to get a new lift. I thought about sawing the rails off at their ends then last night I got the idea to try pounding the stop off with the screwdriver handle. That way I could protect the rails from damage. It worked but the stop broke in half at the center where I hit it with the screwdriver handle but otherwise is completely off and the rails are undamaged. I can still use the stop by inserting each end on the respected pipe but emailed Omar if a replacement stop was available.

So the lesson from this is to go easy when installing the rollers on the block.

Thomas

Thanks tgtaylor for sharing.
    Did you try to pull the rails from the other end, where it join the lift ?
    Is it possible ?
    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I got tired of having the roller fall off into the trough and finally got around to replacing the roller block. I bought a small bottle of De-Solve-It Contractors Solvent ("The most powerful solvent allowed by law" the bottle reads) from Ace Hardware and squirted solvent into it for a day or so. The stop wouldn't budge. I emailed Omar at Catlabs and he replied that the stop was installed by pressure/friction and the only way to remove it was by force. If you break the rails, he said, you will have to get a new lift. I thought about sawing the rails off at their ends then last night I got the idea to try pounding the stop off with the screwdriver handle. That way I could protect the rails from damage. It worked but the stop broke in half at the center where I hit it with the screwdriver handle but otherwise is completely off and the rails are undamaged. I can still use the stop by inserting each end on the respected pipe but emailed Omar if a replacement stop was available.

So the lesson from this is to go easy when installing the rollers on the block.

Thomas

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Thalmees View Post
    Thanks tgtaylor for sharing.
    Did you try to pull the rails from the other end, where it join the lift ?
    Is it possible ?
    No, I didn't. There is an indentation on each rail that appears to be designed so that the roller bar doesn't travel beyond it. In any event it was necessary to beat the stop block out which resulted in breaking it in half. To get the rails out of the other end you would still have to pound them out with using the stop block as a point of contact which would have broken it. Luckily the block broke evenly with no broken pieces and the fit back together perfectly - no glue needed once they are inserted back on the rails. If fact you can't see the break. If another roller block gets broke it will be a chinch changing it.

Thomas