Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Guelph

Re: Hello from Guelph

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    tech III bellows are easy to do yourself

get a bellows from that guy on ebay, use the frame you have on the current bellows

easy-peasy - 30 minute job
    Really? I actually bought bellows from a guy on eBay (possibly "that" guy?) and a tech told me there was no way to attach them. I never looked into it that hard and just assumed I couldn't do it... how do the bellows attach? Do they need to be glued or do they just get sandwiched in the frame somehow? Is it obvious if I dissaemble? Pardon my ignorance.... a camera tech I am not!

Welcome to the forum. I've done the hotel bathroom, and Harrison tent. I prefer the hotel bathroom, but the tent is great when out in the field. I've used the Jumbo for 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I've done the hotel bathroom, and Harrison tent. I prefer the hotel bathroom, but the tent is great when out in the field. I've used the Jumbo for 8x10.
    Thanks Andrew! I have decided to go with a tent but the Harrison is too expensive in Canada right now. I just ordered a Panavision changing tent intended for loading 400'-800' 35mm motion picture reels so it should be big enough for 4x5! I did a Camera Assistant's workshop in a former life and the instructers (all working camera assistants) all spoke highly of both the Harrison and Panavision changing tents. It was literally 1/4 of the price of the Harrison, even with absurd shipping rates factored in.

Les

Welcome to the forum. Too bad I didn't keep the address (in Tarzana)...where my changing bag was made. It surely accomodates the large 1000' 35mm film mags. No idea what they go for these days, but my was $80 in mid 80's....it's still like new inside, tho it had seen lots of 16 & 35mm film. Did you take the workshop in Ojai ?

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Too bad I didn't keep the address (in Tarzana)...where my changing bag was made. It surely accomodates the large 1000' 35mm film mags. No idea what they go for these days, but my was $80 in mid 80's....it's still like new inside, tho it had seen lots of 16 & 35mm film. Did you take the workshop in Ojai ?

Les
    Thank you Les! I took the workshop with Doug Hart in Rockport, Maine. The Harrison tents are going for considerably more than $80 but the Panavision tent I found was for less and may in fact be a rebadged Harrison. It isn't clear if it is new or used though as the website is in French. I guess I will find out soon enough!

(Shrek)

Welcome from a fellow Canuck.

Harrison tents are overkill for 4x5, especially if you're traveling.

You may want to check out the frequent TO camera fairs put on by the PHSC, you will pay less in Can$ for accessories and not have to worry about shipping and duties if you buy from the USA on fleabay. Plus, the sellers are usually photographers who will answer questions, so bring your gear and ask away. I no longer sell in TO, but I have sold at their shows and there were sellers specialized in LF gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Matted View Post
    Really? I actually bought bellows from a guy on eBay (possibly "that" guy?) and a tech told me there was no way to attach them. I never looked into it that hard and just assumed I couldn't do it... how do the bellows attach? Do they need to be glued or do they just get sandwiched in the frame somehow? Is it obvious if I dissaemble? Pardon my ignorance.... a camera tech I am not!
    I forget..but if I can do it..most anyone can.. they might screw and glue in... take the old bellows off and it should be pretty obvious... I think there is an interior inner metal frame on the front anyway, and probably the rear - you'll need to save those for use on the new ones.. and any screws

Les

I took the workshop with Doug Hart in Rockport, Maine.

Looks like we received similar instructions....Doug was also my instructor, but in Ojai.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Matted View Post
    Thanks Ari! I hadn't heard of Camtech before. Good to know there is a local resource. Think he could do a CLA of my Arca F-line? Some of the 0 detents are a bit off and one or two of the movements have a slight amount of slop. It would be great to avoid having to send it to the US.
    Call Roger and find out; I send him all my lenses and shutters, he's even re-cemented a Protar for me.
    He did some good work on a Pentax 67 body, so he might take on the Arca, but I've never asked him about cameras larger than medium format.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Welcome from a fellow Canuck.

Harrison tents are overkill for 4x5, especially if you're traveling.

You may want to check out the frequent TO camera fairs put on by the PHSC, you will pay less in Can$ for accessories and not have to worry about shipping and duties if you buy from the USA on fleabay. Plus, the sellers are usually photographers who will answer questions, so bring your gear and ask away. I no longer sell in TO, but I have sold at their shows and there were sellers specialized in LF gear.
    My Panavision tent arrived (I am fairly sure it is a rebadged Harrison) and I think I agree regarding its suitability for travelling! It is way bigger packed and heavier than I thought; way overbuilt! I need it for use at home anyway though so no regrets.

Also, thanks for the PHSC tip; I hadn't heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    I forget..but if I can do it..most anyone can.. they might screw and glue in... take the old bellows off and it should be pretty obvious... I think there is an interior inner metal frame on the front anyway, and probably the rear - you'll need to save those for use on the new ones.. and any screws
    Thanks for leading me down this path! I don't know why I didn't try it before. Removing the old adhesive was a pain but it was fairly straight forward. The front had a piece of metal but the rear was just glued on. Sadly, the technician was right and the bellows don't QUITE fit properly and they are just a hair too small at the front to work with the metal frame. I added some material to make it fit but it isn't 100% light tight... close enough that a well placed dark cloth should make it so though. I should be getting my test negatives developed soon.