Thread: Damaged 110mm super symmar

Damaged 110mm super symmar

I recently came across a used Schneider 110mm super symmar XL at a very good price.At first
    glance it seemed in good condition but the price made me check it a little more carefully and
    then I understood why the price was so low;someone had obviously used the wrong filter and
    it had come into contact with the front lens element leaving it marked.As the lens was nt in
    a lens board and I was short of time I left it. However now I'm wondering if it's worth a second look.I've heard that marks or scratches are more of a problem for wide angle lens than for longer focal lengths.My question is would any problem be immediately apparent
    on the GG or would it only show up when focused at a certain distance of at a certain f stop
    in which case a bit more critical testing would be required on my part.Any advice appreciated.

You are not likely to notice any degradation of the image unless shooting into bright light, and if the mark is small, a little black ink will help . If the price was really good, I'd take it.

(And if you don't want it, send the seller my way ....)

Cheers,

A small mark on a large front-lens as the 110 XL is probably not giving visible degradation on image at all, but even if scratches were so numerous that it gave image-degradation, you are not likely to see it on GG unless having a very smooth GG & goud loupe. On the other hand, it is easily to detect degradation by inspecting the aerial image of a detailed scene by a very strong loupe (I use a lens from a micro-fiche reader and a resolution chart from the german "Photomagazine"). What happends when front element gets heavily scratched is that contrast & resolution is reduced & image appeares more washed-out, as if much internal flare in lens. I once had a 150mm f 2.8 Sonnar for the Hasselblad 2000F. Originally a very sharp lens, but this one were totally & heavily scratched on front element, partly on rear element - looking as being transported unprotected in a pocket together with a large amount of keys & coins for a long journey (probably not a bad guess on how it happened, by the way). Lens gave very "soft" images wide open, but it still gave high-resolution imagens when closed down to f 11 & 16! This were very apparent on inspection of aerial image, and reproduced likewise on film. Thus - I wouldn't be bothered by scratches on front element - espesially on LF lenses (usually used at least stopped 2-4 stops down), but I would be very careful with in-glass imperfection on rear element as these are more likely to affect performance. On the other hand: I would have used those "large scratches" on glass for all they were worth to get price down...

If the price was right to begin with, you could always have the front element polished and recoated at Focal Point Lens Inc. in Colorado. It will cost you around $300. However, the lens may be fine with it as is (any effect may be negligable). Shoot a batch of test shots and find out.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

On the contrary, the resale value of the lens will be seriously affected. This lens, if bought new, has a very high resale value- I've seen it going used on E-bay for more than I paid for it new! (Of course, I bought it before the price was recently raised). Even if you get it real cheap, if you need to pay $300 for a resurfacing, that might take care of any difference. If you want a user lens, and can get a real good deal (less than 1/2 of the new price), I'd say go for it, but only if you're sure you don't want to re-sell it eventually.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Perhaps I should have mentioned the price so that others can judge if it is worth it.This lens
    is for sale in Japan and a rough exchange rate would put it at $800( US$) so thats about half the price of a new lens from Robert White.

Maybe another thing. Is a great lens with some damage better then a lesser lens in perfect condition? Seems like you could get a perfect 120 wide angle for around that price. Of course if size is a factor this wouldn't help.