Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meyer-Görlitz Weitwinkel-Aristostigmat 6,8/f=8cm / Dating

Meyer-Görlitz Weitwinkel-Aristostigmat 6,8/f=8cm / Dating

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NIK_1026.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	147125
    I got a very clean Wide Angle Aristostigmat from Meyer-Görlitz. It came with a 10x15 Linhof Technika I.
    Camera ist from 1935/36, but the lens (and the compur shutter A450617 (rim)) are newer.
    Can anyone date the shutter, this A-numbers are not in the books...

The lens number is 965xxx. I found that 1 Million should be 1948.
    Question is, is this lens from 1948 when they restarted the production, or from 1942, before they quit lens production due to war.Maybe they restarted with 1 Mio?.. maybe anyone has better Information.

Lens was posessed by a West German businessman, maybe even bought new by him (could be, they definitely had enough money even in the bad times after the war...

Coating started in 1952 (V), this lens is uncoated...

(btw, the other lens with the camera is older than the camera, a 1924 CZJ Tessar 4,5/180)

Re: Meyer-Görlitz Weitwinkel-Aristostigmat 6,8/f=8cm / Dating

P-H Pont's Meyer chronology has 990000 ca. 1942 and 1068113 in 1946.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    P-H Pont's Meyer chronology has 990000 ca. 1942 and 1068113 in 1946.
    many thanks for the confirmation, I had only data starting after 1945...
    So it should be a 1942 or 41.... Meyer made about 100000 lenses a year (at least before the war).

Nice lens, invented in 1911. Does it fully cover 10x15?

has anyone an idea what there Axxx.xxx Compur Rim Numbers are, they are not in the usual published Serial number lists?
    I hav some A six Digit shutters that are younger than the normal 6-digit era

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    has anyone an idea what there Axxx.xxx Compur Rim Numbers are, they are not in the usual published Serial number lists?
    I hav some A six Digit shutters that are younger than the normal 6-digit era
    I have a 203 mm f/7.7 Ektar made in 1959 (Serial number RT 552) mounted in a Compur shutter serial number A554776. Maybe this will help...
    David

Nice lens, invented in 1911. Does it fully cover 10x15?
    According to these catalogs (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/meyer_3.html, http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/meyer_5.html) Meyer doesn't think so. It might well illuminate the format, though.

thanks for the catalog, very interesting. The lens is newer as to the time of the cataloge they only had the f9/Aristostigmat

I found this link and picture http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00RbKf
    which has nearly the same serial as mine and also the exactly same shutter! This proves that my shutter is the original one to my lens...

Coverage is said to be 100 degress stopped down, so it should just fit to 10x15

I will visually check füll movements with the WW 80 and the 180 Tessar today..

In BJP Almanac adverts A.O. Roth the Meyer distributors in the UK listed the coverage stopped down one year,I think for the f9 version. I'll try and find something.

The 8cm f9 WW though is listed as covering Quarter plate at full aperture as you know, it should just cover 10x15 stopped right down, Meyer are using coverage in terms of acceptable sharpness/resolution which is slightly arbitrary without testing and differs from the field of illumination which Dan mentions.

Zeiss recommended a 210mm f4.5 Tessar for 10x15 however the 180mm will cover but be slightly softer at the corners and edges.

I recently did some quick tests with a Dagor, a Ihagee-Goerz dialyte, Tessar and a Meyer 141mm Meyer Weitwinkel-Aristostigmat f9, all lenses in with good clean optics, the Meyer WA and the Dialyte had significantly lower contrast than the Tessar while the Dagor was way ahead despite being the oldest (it may well have been unused & never fitted to a camera/lens board).

Ian

The 1931 BJP Almanac Meyer advert states the 80mm (3 1/8") f9 Meyer WA covers up to 10x15 and 3˝x5˝" at full aperture, it's a bit ambiguous as it doesn't say the maximum coverage is when stopped right dowm. The Adverts also include the Universal Silar camera which later becomes re-badged as a Linhof camera after the manufacturers cease trading and the company is taken over by Linhof.

Ian

thanks for the catalog, very interesting. The lens is newer as to the time of the cataloge they only had the f9/Aristostigmat
    Two catalogs, look at both. Start with p. 12 of the first one. What has become of the famous teutonic thoroughness?