Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Cart Based on an Old Golf Cart

Re: Photo Cart Based on an Old Golf Cart

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Why? Were they afraid you would bump into something fragile?
    Basically, yes - people with backpacks seem insensible to the bulk behind them. But they didn't mind me wandering around with six feet of tripod with a few pounds of metal and glass on one end of it!

Neil

Be aware that a wheeled cart is not considered an acceptable mode of transportation in any designated wilderness areas in the US. This includes wilderness or backcountry areas that are in national parks that may well have regular, non-backcountry trails and trailheads, so the line can be unclear as to where the BC starts.

The ADA interpretation that the Forest Service and other agencies have been applying is that a wheelchair or other similar non-powered vehicle for people who have a recognized disability is acceptable, but things like deer carts and other devices are not, EVEN IF THE PERSON WHO USES THEM MAY BE CLASSIFIED AS DISABLED, because these carts do not aid the person directly with moving about.

So, if you use one of these in a place that may have unclear boundaries, you may end up confronted by an official if you wander into the BC areas.

These same rules keep mountain bikes out of the wilderness areas, so I fully support setting limits for those designated areas.

Unless otherwise designated, there are no limits on something like this in most other places that I am aware of.

---Michael

I will only use mine in the wilderness of Chicago City limits.

I promise.

Good camouflage too, as most will think and know I am a nut case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    What material is that you used? Just wood?
    I think that I used fir for the spine and the top, poplar for the middle support cross-bar, and 5/8ths inch plywood for the base. The fir and poplar that I can get locally are always quite straight and not warped. Only wood was used for the parts that didn't come originally with the cart.

Yes, I recall now that the cart is (was?) a BagBoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    Be aware that a wheeled cart is not considered an acceptable mode of transportation in any designated wilderness areas in the US. This includes wilderness or backcountry areas that are in national parks that may well have regular, non-backcountry trails and trailheads, so the line can be unclear as to where the BC starts.

The ADA interpretation that the Forest Service and other agencies have been applying is that a wheelchair or other similar non-powered vehicle for people who have a recognized disability is acceptable, but things like deer carts and other devices are not, EVEN IF THE PERSON WHO USES THEM MAY BE CLASSIFIED AS DISABLED, because these carts do not aid the person directly with moving about.

So, if you use one of these in a place that may have unclear boundaries, you may end up confronted by an official if you wander into the BC areas.

These same rules keep mountain bikes out of the wilderness areas, so I fully support setting limits for those designated areas.

Unless otherwise designated, there are no limits on something like this in most other places that I am aware of.

---Michael
    This is good to know; I was not aware of these rules. Thanks.

Load the backpack appropriately for landscape, and it becomes light enough for me to carry as a backpack. (e.g. use a dark cloth versus my viewer, leave out the heavier 75mm and 90mm f5.6 lenses, etc.) But if I photograph in more urban areas, I can include useful goodies which, none the less, add weight.

I'd say that cart could carry more than 30 pounds. I remember that Dad's golf bag was at least 40.

This thread has a couple of ideas. I am trying to do my own "Dr. Tang model" but wish they made a LF capable model like the Fone from FISOL (the cart of course!).

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=Cart
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Nice job, Neil! I've thought of trying a converted golf cart. I like your innovation! I can't count the number of times I've seen carts, without bags, at 2nd-hand stores and garage sales.

Pete

Thanks you Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I will only use mine in the wilderness of Chicago City limits.

I promise.

Good camouflage too, as most will think and know I am a nut case.

When I photographed the Chicago River I used a Sherpa Cart (no longer in production) that is very similar to a golf cart, although with small bicycle wheels. It worked very well. Randy, most people will give you a wide berth because they are not sure what you are about and don't want to take chances. I was often tempted to wear a hard hat and reflective safety vest, and put down traffic cones to divert pedestrians and cars. Judging from the number of people who thought I was on official business, I think I could have gotten away with it...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/