Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Cart Based on an Old Golf Cart

Photo Cart Based on an Old Golf Cart

In a recent thread, another member commented about his photo cart made form an old golf cart. The photo cart I've been using is also made from an old golf cart. I've just finished a few improvements to this cart, so I thought that it would make a worthwhile DIY addition. My family gave me this cart decades ago. I long ago stopped playing any golf, so it's nice to be able to make such good use of the cart.

See the photos below. It makes for a convenient combination. I raised the backpack enough on the cart so that it's ideally balanced, when pulling it along behind me. It pulls easily. By adjusting the angle of the handle, one can put the cart into a reclined position for easy access to the equipment, in a position that stabilizes the cart, or it can be collapsed for transport.

The wheels are great for rough terrain. They cushioned, but not tight with air. So, it minimizes vibrations on the equipment. As you can see, the wheels can also be collapsed for transport. This makes it really easy to load and retrieve the entire kit from the trunk of a car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cat.jpg   Cart_Rear.jpg   Cart_Reclined.jpg   Cart_Folded.jpg  

Re: Photo Cart Based on an Old Golf Cart

Here are a couple of photos that show the construction. I was able to use pieces of the cart to fasten a spine that runs along the cart's length. (1st photo.) I positioned holes in the spine, so that I could add different sets of attachments. The set shown in the 2nd photo holds my 4x5 kit. I have other backpacks that I can adapt to the spine in a similar fashion, like that for my RB kit. (Not shown.)

I occasionally see these old golf carts at Goodwill, or on Craigslist. If you need a photo cart, consider grabbing one. It takes a little ingenuity. But, the end result is worth the effort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cart_Spine.jpg   Cart_Spine_B.jpg  

Nice!

I always thought those carts were a good design.

My first thought was the electric carts you take a ride at the golf course then I realized what you are talking about. I really like your version of the cart. Those big wheels would be great for the outdoor trails or sidewalks. I can appreciate the ability to detach the wheel base from the gear bags. How much weight can you put on it without too much strains. Most carts I've seen have weak joints. Thanks Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
    . . . How much weight can you put on it without too much strains. Most carts I've seen have weak joints. . .
    Without having actually weighed it, my pack probably weighs around 30 lbs. I don't think that I would want to exceed that weight by too much with this rig. But given the expense of photo equipment per pound . . .

The make you have is the Bag Boy, they were made in the fifty's and sixty's, the newer ones are not as well made, there's alot of them on Ebay,. Have been thinking about getting one local,they are expensive to ship.Thanks for sharing your adoption for the bag boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    The make you have is the Bag Boy, they were made in the fifty's and sixty's, the newer ones are not as well made, there's alot of them on Ebay,. Have been thinking about getting one local,they are expensive to ship.Thanks for sharing your adoption for the bag boy.
    Thanks for naming the Make model.

They are very nice, actually kinda fancy back then.

I need one, not for golf!

I'd be very tempted to put some sort of camera mount on the handle, if possible...

(Apropos of nothing in particular, while visiting Laycock Abbey earlier in the year, they were quite happy with the tripod and large format camera, but hated the idea of the backpack in which I carry the camera, film, light meter...)

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
    I'd be very tempted to put some sort of camera mount on the handle, if possible...

(Apropos of nothing in particular, while visiting Laycock Abbey earlier in the year, they were quite happy with the tripod and large format camera, but hated the idea of the backpack in which I carry the camera, film, light meter...)

Neil
    Why? Were they afraid you would bump into something fragile?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Here are a couple of photos that show the construction. I was able to use pieces of the cart to fasten a spine that runs along the cart's length. (1st photo.) I positioned holes in the spine, so that I could add different sets of attachments. The set shown in the 2nd photo holds my 4x5 kit. I have other backpacks that I can adapt to the spine in a similar fashion, like that for my RB kit. (Not shown.)

I occasionally see these old golf carts at Goodwill, or on Craigslist. If you need a photo cart, consider grabbing one. It takes a little ingenuity. But, the end result is worth the effort.
    What material is that you used? Just wood?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"