Thread: Linhof cameras before 1945

Re: Linhof cameras before 1945

From the 1939 Linhof Prospekt..

I hope this is someway useful

Yes

Thank you

Yes thank you. I learned some new german words for the camera parts...

I have one that is somewhat like this. It doesn't have the back movements and I'm not sure it has swings in the front. It does have rise and shift. It was missing its back when I got it so I fastened a B&J 5x7 spring back on it and called it good. It is in pretty poor shape but I have it put together and light-tight so I can use it. When open and on the tripod, it is pretty solid. I use a 203/7.7 Ektar with it and I like how the shots come out.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    I have one that is somewhat like this. It doesn't have the back movements and I'm not sure it has swings in the front. It does have rise and shift. It was missing its back when I got it so I fastened a B&J 5x7 spring back on it and called it good. It is in pretty poor shape but I have it put together and light-tight so I can use it. When open and on the tripod, it is pretty solid. I use a 203/7.7 Ektar with it and I like how the shots come out.
    So without baxk movements it is a "Linhof Standard". As a 5x7 back fits in size, it should be a 13x18cm model (or a 12x16,5, the only differed in the backs)
    Should be 21cm x 21cm x 7 cm Body, weight with back 2100g. Bellow Extension 54cm... It should have not front swing... Good that it is usable, have fun with it!

Do you have the Serial number for better dating the camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    So without baxk movements it is a "Linhof Standard". As a 5x7 back fits in size, it should be a 13x18cm model (or a 12x16,5, the only differed in the backs)
    Should be 21cm x 21cm x 7 cm Body, weight with back 2100g. Bellow Extension 54cm... It should have not front swing... Good that it is usable, have fun with it!

Do you have the Serial number for better dating the camera...
    The only number I can find on the camera is 7879. It is on the front of the front door on the focus rack right underneath where the clip used to hold the front in when folded. I've had it for a few years and I can't remember if I ever asked about the age. Bob Salomon has the "Big List" of Linhof numbers but I don't know when his list begins.

I'd like to have a lens with 5.6, 4.5 or 3.5 maximum stop. The 7.7 throws a dim image on a plain ground glass. I have a Wollensak Velostigmat 8 1/2"/4.5 in Betax somewhere but can't find it. Good excuse to clean things out.

Having a rotating back is a plus. I choose the portrait composition frequently and it's fast to move it from landscape.

with this size you could use a 4.5/210 tessar type (Tessar, Xenar) which was a typical lens for this camera these days.
    O, what I can recommend, but will not fit inside when folded, ist a Schneider Symmar(-s) 5.6/210 from the 50ies to the 80ies. A nice Plasmat with good angle of 70 degrees, and not very expensive and frequently sold at least here in Germany.
    I think Impaid below 150 for even the MC veraion in a working compur...
    This will be my standard lens for my 10x15 as soon I have a lens plate for it. Sould cover all the movemnets of my camera, has 300mm coverage at infinity...

7879 sholud be the serial. The number is usually embossed under the rails at the inside of the front plate.
    Was does the linhof logo of your cam look like?
    Maybe you ahve a photo of your cam to post here, for curiosity and identification...

Bob solomons list starts later, 1946, as the linhof factory data before 1945 was lost during the war...
    Maybe 1935 is a first guess for the age of your camera...

Does it have the logo shown in Sean Macs old catalogue?

I'll have to look it over tomorrow. I don't have any cams for rangefinders I'll try to get a picture of the logo underneath the focus rack.

there is now a 30** serial on sale in US.. it is a 13x18 with a Schneider Xenar that is dates to Mid 1942 bit with the changing plates the probability faor a change in the last 70 years is highly probable...

I still have no hint if the four digit 3xxx numbers really show an old camera, or maybe dependent to the size..
    This camera again hat the two silver snaps for the board...Again unsure if this feature is size dependant...