Thread: Help with 11X14 Bellows fold size dimension

Help with 11X14 Bellows fold size dimension

I want to know what size folds are used on common 11x14" folding cameras. Both factory built and DIY.

Not for studio cameras, as I know a Deardorff SC 11x14 uses 1" square fold.

Most folding field camera I have used have 'Truncated' folds. meaning angled or bent, not square.

I think 1" is too big and 1/2" may be too small, so what are your thoughts and experiences?

Re: Help with 11X14 Bellows fold size dimension

Hi Randy,

This helped me when I made them some years ago. http://web.archive.org/web/201003271...l/bellows.html

The problem now is finding the right material, something I haven't been able to do. I've used the blackout curtain liner but it is just too thick and heavy.

Thanks Chris. I won't be making bellows. My fingers won't do it. I am making DIY 11x14, gathering resources and measurements.

Got a quote from Custom Bellows at Zulu 8:33.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    Hi Randy,

This helped me when I made them some years ago. http://web.archive.org/web/201003271...l/bellows.html

The problem now is finding the right material, something I haven't been able to do. I've used the blackout curtain liner but it is just too thick and heavy.

I made these for a Century Grand 5x7 and the folds - taken from the original (completely shot) bellows were about 10mm. I actually found from careful measurement of the original support struts (which seem to be made from thin varnished card) that the measurements alternated 11mm / 9mm / 11mm etc. from back to front standard.
    If we take that as a guide and given that you think 1" is too big and 1/2" is too small, doubling mine (for 5x7 up to 11x14) would be 20mm roughly, or near as makes no difference 3/4". I'm remaking them now - that's why they are off the camera - and still looking for the ideal material! Currently trying bookbinders' reconstituted leather....watch this space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0582.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	146981

Quote Originally Posted by Milonian View Post
    I made these for a Century Grand 5x7 and the folds - taken from the original (completely shot) bellows were about 10mm. I actually found from careful measurement of the original support struts (which seem to be made from thin varnished card) that the measurements alternated 11mm / 9mm / 11mm etc. from back to front standard.
    If we take that as a guide and given that you think 1" is too big and 1/2" is too small, doubling mine (for 5x7 up to 11x14) would be 20mm roughly, or near as makes no difference 3/4". I'm remaking them now - that's why they are off the camera - and still looking for the ideal material! Currently trying bookbinders' reconstituted leather....watch this space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0582.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	146981
    Thanks for the reply.

I am going with 1", as I will be specifying big bellows. OD 16" big end, OD 10" small end and 40" of draw. Deardoff 8" lens boards as I already use that size and a big Packard shutter can be installed inside the camera.

This is not a backpack camera and I want to be able to shoot macro heads on location.

I also measured a few sets here, the biggest folds are on my Fotar 8X10 enlarger, but they just hang vertically. Smallest on Horseman VHR.

Hope it goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Milonian View Post
    Hope it goes well.
    It will go somewhere...

Thanks