Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint for darkroom sink....

Paint for darkroom sink....

Am at the point of after removing my less that adequate darkroom sink, have replaced it all with an 8 foot exterior plywood base and shelves and atop it a 2x8 foot sink. Getting ready to paint the interior of the plywood sink. Over the years have constructed and used 2 plywood sinks for 10+ years each. One was marine and the other exterior plywood but both covered only with many coats (top a base coat) of exterior paint and never had a problem. Epoxy paint seems to be the choice of many... adequate ventilation obviously a must. Will be installing an exit ventilation fan in the darkroom but not till the spring so epoxy paint not an option till several months from now.

Anyways one of my former students built a darkroom. Plywood sink. Base coat of paint. 2 or 3 coats of exterior paint. And then he uses car wax to coat the sink a few times per year. Told me takes only 10 minutes each time. He told me water beads off the sink like off a waxed car. He and his wife use the sink for various other things and he told me anything and everything always just beads and washes away!!

Anybody else has tried using coats of car wax? Sounds like a simple practical fix to me verses using epoxy paint in an unventilated room.

Re: Paint for darkroom sink....

I posted this a couple of weeks ago...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...C-sheets/page3

See post #25…

I was skeptical when I first was told of this, but it worked out very well, and I would use it again… (But I'm careful not to spill anything harsh on it…)

Steve K

West systems marine epoxy.

This is what I used and I'm very happy with it. http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...3Aproduct-6859

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I'm getting ready to construct another darkroom, which will include building a sink. Don't know what ventilation is required, but I've considered using Flex Seal, the liquid rubber advertised on TV. It is now available in pint, quart and gallon cans so it can be applied by brush or roller.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    There's another brand called RAKA that is a lot cheaper than West Systems, but it's a great product. http://www.raka.com/epoxy.html

"All Raka Epoxies are 100 % solids with no evaporating solvents and have low viscosity for superb penetration and wetting out of wood and fiberglass"

Old School Wayne

I used swimming pool paint and that was almost 18 years ago. I see they make a water based one now which might be more pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    My recommendation also. They also sell a grey pigment that I like. Lots of info on their website on how to use the product. Haven't built a darkroom sink, but I've been using West System epoxy for years and can highly recommend their products.

Roger

I like the wax idea, I think I'll try it out.

FWIW, I have painted my sinks (past and present) with white gloss marine topside paint (over two coats of marine primer). Pyro stains it a bit, but it's easy to repaint when needed. My sink never holds water; it's just there to catch spills and drain water from the washer and holding tray. Topside paint worked fine on my sailboat to keep everything above the waterline dry and sealed. It's been working well for my sinks for a long time too.

Doremus

With the wax, the down side would be if the sink was re-finished in the future, the wax would be hard to remove, and provide a less-than-ideal substrate for the new finish, probably causing the finish to lift/crack/peel in long or short term… And might interact with the application of the new finish…

Steve K