Thread: Heavy duty copy stand WTB comments

Heavy duty copy stand WTB comments

Not sure where this should go. But I wanted to avoid commenting on FS/WTB ads, specifically WTB Heavy duty copy stand. I'm trying Oren!

I copy other's artwork, primarily pencil and paper artists.

Over the last 5 years, I have tried many copy stands. I had a Kaiser, meh. Polaroid MP3 DIY converted just like Glennview, click this link. Worked OK. Then I used a 5x7 Elwood enlarger. Clumsy.

Now I use a 8ft tall Arkay Studio stand with Majestic head and a folding table. I can copy almost anything, with almost anything.

Mostly I do 22X28" paper drawings. I set up the folding table, tape down black foam core, then check square with old steel magnetic copy holder. It has grid lines and paper sizes, I use that to align camera view to grid, once all is square. It's set. Lock wheels. Don't touch it. Use cable release. I use 3 strobes, 2 on the long side, cross bounce off white ceiling, 3rd fills from front and a white foam core bounce card fills the shadow under the camera and mount.

Since end product is Internet digital, I shoot slightly under exposed. Set black in PS off the black foam core and I am getting the best results yet. Color temp I check with a similar paper palette to artwork. I maintain neutral tones with no enhancement of color as these are used to sell the actual art work.

My only problem is I have improved every year and now need to re-shoot some old stuff. He's patient for a maniacal genius control freak. I get 2 minutes to shoot each piece and he runs out the door with his art. A great friend.

Re: Heavy duty copy stand WTB comments

Randy,
    There are lots of different Kaiser stands. Which type did you have? They ranged in scope from simple home stands to very heavy duty dual motorized ones. In fact Disney equipped every animator in their studios with a 60" stand. It was the biggest copy stand sale we ever made and probably the largest one for Samy's. We also sold the 60" motorized stands to several FBI locations, including the Academy at Quantico.

No idea what model. It was used and not FBI quality nor motorized. Long sold to someone who wanted it.

I found lighting, mass, range of adjustment to be paramount for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    No idea what model. It was used and not FBI quality nor motorized. Long sold to someone who wanted it.

I found lighting, mass, range of adjustment to be paramount for me.
    Take a look at Kaiser 55xx and 56xx stands. There are many different camera arms available from fixed length to push pull to geared with tilt. All are interchangeable. All rotate. Lighting available includes, sockets only, quartz Halogen, tungsten, fluorescent, high frequency fluorescent and UV. Go to the Kaiser site and download the Repro brochure PDF. You will find them the most versatile stands from any supplier with the most choices in baseboard sizes and types, column sizes, head choices and lighting choices and lighting positioning. I don't know which stand you originally had but their stands will easily do whatever you require. And I have not been involved with Kaiser fir a year now. So I don't have a vested interest in this but I was the Product Manager and Sales Manager for them for 35 years and I do know what they can do and who, doing what you want to do, uses them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Take a look at Kaiser 55xx and 56xx stands. There are many different camera arms available from fixed length to push pull to geared with tilt. All are interchangeable. All rotate. Lighting available includes, sockets only, quartz Halogen, tungsten, fluorescent, high frequency fluorescent and UV. Go to the Kaiser site and download the Repro brochure PDF. You will find them the most versatile stands from any supplier with the most choices in baseboard sizes and types, column sizes, head choices and lighting choices and lighting positioning. I don't know which stand you originally had but their stands will easily do whatever you require. And I have not been involved with Kaiser fir a year now. So I don't have a vested interest in this but I was the Product Manager and Sales Manager for them for 35 years and I do know what they can do and who, doing what you want to do, uses them.
    Thanks Bob,

I had a Kaiser R2.

I found it at the Kaiser catalog here. The only thing they offer that compares directly to what I now use is the RSP Xtra #5711. I am about to make a stage, similar to Kaiser Document Stage 5903. It was in my plans before viewing this catalog.

I think my point was, I am perfectly happy with my current setup and find no need to spend more money. With my job and setup, I haven't needed polarization, but plan to experiment with it as funds become available.

My eyes are bigger than my mouth.

In fact my setup breaks down to invisible as I use the components for other studio work.

I sent PM to OP on FS/WTB originating thread with our comments on this thread. He is appreciative.

The wall mount Kaiser is similar to my wall mount Elwood in function and space. It just hangs around and is used for illumination of large contact prints with vacuum stage.

Thanks again.