Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slosher problem

slosher problem

I'm new at 4x5, and after scratching many negs using Ansel Adams' tray technique, I built a slosher out of plexiglass. It's meant to behave like the commercially available one. Sides and bottom have 5/8" holes in rows drilled to allow (I thought) free developer movement. Mine takes four negs and just fits an 8x10 Paterson tray.

As expected, my negs are now scratch free. Unfortunately they are not uniform. I can see darker areas that match up to the holes on the sides and bottom. I've been using outdated TriX to try to master this, developing in 1:1 D76 for 10 min at 20C with agitation every 30 sec.

Any ideas, other than the obvious not good enough circulation in the slosher? The negs are not sticking to the bottom. I'm using 1 liter of developer in the tray, more than enough to cover the negs. Film could be exposed to air during agitiation, which I do by raising end and sides twice each.

Thanks

Re: slosher problem

Do you have small pegs along the bottom of the liner to separate it from the bottom of the tray? Developer needs to be able to get underneath as well.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

The film should be placed in the slosher emultion side up. From the sound of your problem it seems they may have been placed emultion side down.

In answer to the questions so far, the film is held off the bottom by thin strips of plexiglass. It is definitely emulsion side up.

One of the replies raises a question I keep asking myself. How important is it that developer circulate around the other non-emulsion of the film?
    Last edited by Tom Buckley; 19-Oct-2006 at 16:01. Reason: added question

Until I broke down and bought an expert drum and roller base, I used slosh trays for years with pretty consistant results. Mine were solid 1/4" plexy with 1/4" diameter plexy dowels about 1-1/2" long that were glued into holes I drilled to keep the negs separated and from floating off. I would place them emulsion side up, slip them into a water bath where I would get them pre-wet and make certain they were not gluing themselves to the plexi sheet. A couple of minutes seemed to work. Then, moved to the developer where I would agitate very gently as follows: Lift the edge of the tray that is toward me twice, lift the right edge twice, wait for another 15 sec and repeat. I would go through an entire 7-10 minute development process this way and never had a problem with eveness. A pain when a lot of negatives need to be developed, but effective. I hope that gives you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Do you have small pegs along the bottom of the liner to separate it from the bottom of the tray? Developer needs to be able to get underneath as well.
    Michael, you sure about that?I use 8x10 film tubes with emulsion facing inwards, and I'm sure probably less developer is getting to the backside than with a slosher.Just a thought

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    Michael, you sure about that?I use 8x10 film tubes with emulsion facing inwards, and I'm sure probably less developer is getting to the backside than with a slosher.Just a thought

Chris
    Not 100%, no. But before I started using them, I got streaks. After I added them I didn't got streaks. (Didn't get streaks?) So that was my conclusion. Could be wrong. But I'm not taking out my pegs.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Tom -

I would want to see your slosher, but fundamentally the design sounds OK. One concern may be your hole size - I used 1" holes.

Here's a photo of my slosher.

Two things about the way I use mine. First, I do a presoak for about a minute, maybe a bit longer. That way, the film is fully wetted when it goes into the developer tray.

Second, I use HC110 dilution H. The effect of higher dilution is to require longer development time. My N time is 11 minutes at 68 deg C. Before I went to the slosher and dilution H, my N time with dilution B was 6 minutes.

One question - when you agitate, does developer actually move under and around the individual sheets? In my case, the compartment for each sheet is about 1/2" larger than the sheet (in each direction), so the developer does flow around the sheet when I agitate. You really don't have to get developer on the back, but you want the agitation to force developer to flow across the face of the negative.
    Last edited by Louie Powell; 19-Oct-2006 at 19:25.

Thanks for the note and the picture of your slosher Louie. It's more open than mine. I'm going to do a little cutting.

Tom

"How important is it that developer circulate around the other non-emulsion of the film?"

I don't think it's important in terms of development of the image. With the BTZS tubes I've used for about 12 years the base side of the film sticks to the inside of the tube so I doubt that any developer gets to it but that's never been a problem.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.