Thread: Question About a Build

Question About a Build

Hi All,

Tried searching, but as I can't remember the actual term for what I'm looking for, it's kind of fruitless. I need to work out the minimum interior cone for a camera build. In other words, from the lens to the film plane, how do I determine the minimum space needed inside the camera to get the light to the film? I once knew the guidelines for this but can no longer remember, and the notes I have on that are many decades buried somewhere in the house. I want to do this for two possible designs... One a 6x17 and one 4x5. Trying to make the designs as compact as possible.

Thank you!

Re: Question About a Build

Think about the lenses you are going to use.

If you use a lens with an "infinite" focal length you need a bellows at least 4x5 infinitely long.

About the shortest lens which will cover 4x5 is about a 47mm Super Angulon XL. Flange to focal plane 59mm.

Looking at (because I have) 75mm Super Angulon f8, 90mm SA, Nikon 135 f5.6, and possibly as high as a 150 something or other. I know the FFL measurement for each, and the image circle, that's not what I'm looking for.

Its a line from the edge of the lens to the edge of the ground glass, if I understand your question. Angle of the line will change with focal length. Focal length changes with distance to subject. Line of sight.

You need to get the bellows over the rear of the lens. Light travels in a straight line from the glass to the film, so if it clears the rear element and the film at the other end you are fine. A really long focal length lens would require the bellows to be so elongated it would look almost like a box. A short focal length would allow the bellows to be more like a pyramid but unless you shoot really low f no. lenses, the wide angle lenses are likely to have the largest real element diameter. (as Tim says a straight line from the rear lens element to the edge of the film).