Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The pilgrimage...

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The pilgrimage...

This question grows from another thread currently running, but sparked a question in my mind...

I remember accounts of photographers in the 1920's and 30's journeying to New York to have Alfred Stieglitz review their work; most had their hopes dashed, a few received positive reviews, a select very few were even offered shows at 291 or An American Place.

Later, photographers took their work to Ansel Adams, who was usually more gracious and encouraging. He was the "Grand Old Man" of American straight photography, and his opinion held much weight. Minor White held a similar position for those who sought some level of transendence in their work, and many went to have him review their work or to study under him

If today you had produced a defined portfolio which you felt achieved your vision and you wanted to show it to one person, not for marketing purposes or publication, but to ask, simply, "is this of value," who would you take it to?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The pilgrimage...

David Muench

The pilgrimage...

Paul Caponigro

The pilgrimage...

The quick answer would be to find someone whose work you personally find stimulating and sign up for their workshop. Bring your prints with you and you will have the opportunity to actually spend more than a cursory view of them which is usually the case for conventional "print reviews".
    If you are not interested in marketing or publication I would assume that you are singularly just interested in improving your vision. That is how I would proceed.

Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee workshops are about as good as they get and very reasonable in price.

I firmy believe that there is never a bad investment in real education.

Cheers!

The pilgrimage...

Uh forgot to ad, the father, not the son..

The pilgrimage...

Myself, my wife, my family, and close friends. So far all of them have granted me shows, and in their own private homes nontheless.

Guy
    Scenic Wild Photography

The pilgrimage...

Jorge,

You'd probably get to talk to both. Paul lives in a house in John Paul's backyard. Paul just had one or both knees replaced. But yeah, Paul would be worth talking to.

I'd also try to go visit Nicholas Nixon, Richard Misrach, Irving Penn, Dan Winters, & Stephen Shore becasue I like their work but don't always understand it.

But I don't think I'd ever ask if my work has value. Fotofest 2006 in Houston might be the place for that.

The pilgrimage...

That's a tough question as I have very evolving tastes. I seem to go thru different phases where maybe one photographer might be considered to be the guru and then I later switch to another way of looking.

The only photographer I really truly would made a pilgramige to would have been Edward Weston. Unfortunately he is gone and in my mind there has not been anyone to take his place.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

The pilgrimage...

The mirror to start.

Failing that; my wife, Michael Smith, Paula Chamlee, George Tice, David Plowden, Shelbey Lee Adams. Stieglitz, even, if you don't want your hopes dashed.

The pilgrimage...

I'll never forget the day when Maggi Weston looked at my work and offered to feature it in her Carmel gallery. It justified all the photographic trials and expense that I'd been through for the previous 25 years. I walked on air for days (weeks?) afterwards. (Never mind that we never sold anything - there was no market anywhere for color in those days.) It's amazing how much it helps to know that "you've got IT!" I recently submitted a dozen prints to B&W Magazine in response to their open portfolio invitation; when they were returned without being chosen for publication, it felt good to know that it was their loss, not mine.

I'll second the suggestion that Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee would be the best possible arbiters of LF work.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)