Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diy flashbulb gun

Re: Diy flashbulb gun

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    You guys have all the cool tools
    No we don't, and if you keep hanging out here, you too will soon have too much stuff....

Now you need to learn more. Looks fine.

My exposures are quite long and during that time the boats rock. I want to eliminate the ghosting.

My exposures are quite long and during that time the boats rock. I want to eliminate the ghosting.
    Then flash bulbs may not be the right thing, as Jac pointed out they have long burn time.

Electronic strobes will stop any motion at up to 1/10,000 sec.

You can rent them.

Where are you?

I am sure you are absolutely correct. But I am still a hobbyist and at some point I have to work within my budget. I believe 1 larger flashbulb would be cheaper than several rented strobes and portability is a consideration as well.

I am sure you are absolutely correct. But I am still a hobbyist and at some point I have to work within my budget. I believe 1 larger flashbulb would be cheaper than several rented strobes and portability is a consideration as well.
    Nothing is as portable as flashbulbs, that's why cavers use them.

I guess you are on a ocean port, which almost never loses wave movement. But patience is the LF motto.

Good luck!

The reflector part on your flash removes to reveal the standard Edison/Mazda base bulb. A big bare bulb might be the ticket. And for shooting at faster speeds, there is the bulb I mentioned below that burns for 1.7 seconds. You can shoot at 1/500th with a delay of 1/2 of a second. A brilliant flash for almost two seconds! (Well, technically 2.5 seconds but the tail is dim.) Mind boggling! The equivalent is Meggaflash PF330.

Meggaflash also makes the big PF300, about the equivalent of six #5 bulbs.

With slaves or long AC cords you could trigger a few separated smaller units at once to distribute the light nicely. That's what the 'remote' plugs on the side of your flash are for.

Oh, and if you have a flash meter that takes a synch cord, you can meter flash bulbs. I posted info about that quite some time ago.

I picked up a few no 5 bulbs and 6 no 50a bulbs. I will test with the 5's and if the flash gun works I'll have to fabricate a reflector probably from the aformentioned pie pan for the 50a bulbs.

You guys have all the cool tools
    That is because we are old enough that much of the 'obsolete' stuff we still have was current technology when we were your age.

HEY, what current digital photo goods will be considered useful cool stuff fifty years from today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    That is because we are old enough that much of the 'obsolete' stuff we still have was current technology when we were your age.

HEY, what current digital photo goods will be considered useful cool stuff fifty years from today?
    I feel like this is a trick question.

I am 30 so not that young. Not that old either I guess. I've been shooting LF for about a year now but it's much more than a hobby at this point.