Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CineStill 120 and maybe 4x5

CineStill 120 and maybe 4x5

CineStill is at it again for 120, this time with Indigogo.
    And there is a stretch goal (if they raise $150k) for 4x5 sheet film!

Check it out.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...-format-film#/

Re: CineStill 120 and maybe 4x5

They opened up 4x5 color sheet film, but they need 200 people to commit. Info on same link as above.

Yeah -- they're definitely getting closer. If you back the $100 4x5 option, you get a 50 sheet pack of Cinestill Film if they make the $150k. That's $2 a sheet for CineStill, which is an amazing deal as regular Kodak C-41 is ~$4 a sheet currently. They are sitting at $137,173 currently and only have 2 days left in the campaign.

If you shoot color large format, this is worth backing (in my personal opinion). The more of us that back it, the more likely it is to happen. If they don't hit $150k, you end up with 8 rolls of the 120, so it is a bit of a gamble, especially if you don't shoot 120.

Karl

Hey Karl,
    I saw the 50 sheet thing was was a little confused too, it is the "Grandpa Graflex" option for $220 plus extras.
    $100 is for the Early Bird option, 25 sheets. I wish it was for 50 sheets.
    This is 800 speed color film.
    It is a quarter the way there, I hope it makes it.

Jason

Jason,

Thank you for pointing the error in my math out -- it is $4/sheet at that point and that's closer to our normal going rate.

I still do hope they make it as it is 800 speed color film as you point out.

Karl

I am tempted to get some 4x5 now, though I don't even know if I like the film. I have always thought this film was priced rather high but the 4x5 film seems reasonable. I am also a bit put-off by Indiegogo campaigns with "flexible funding" - a.k.a. you get paid regardless of making your goal, meaning sometimes you can't make the product. Of course they are past that point now but just a personal pet-peeve of mine.

Hmm...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Their original kickstarter for this missed their goal of $350,000 by a long shot. Now somehow they're doing it for a fraction of that? Money grab.
    I asked them about roll film being cut into sheets and what labs will process it, etc but they won't answer my questions. While I've shot a lot of movie film and love the look of it (ecn processed), I don't like the flare caused by the lack of remjet in cinestill.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Their original kickstarter for this missed their goal of $350,000 by a long shot. Now somehow they're doing it for a fraction of that? Money grab.
    They say:

During our previous Kickstarter campaign, CineStill raised nearly $120K in pledges. Unfortunately, it did not reach it's goal. Since then, we have been working hard to revise our plan; cutting costs, investing new capital, scaling back for a smallest possible first production run, designing a new custom multi-format machine, and developing our continued relationships for securing the special materials and assembly required for 120!
    Seems reasonable enough?

CineStill has made it past the $150k mark and this means that based on their campaign, they will be assembling 4x5 sheet film.

If it's only a money grab and we don't end up getting the sheet film, then that will be very disappointing. I'm not sure how they'll make the sheet film and they haven't been very forthcoming over on APUG about the effects of cross-processing this film in C-41 as opposed to ECN-2 and how they've supposedly overcome those effects.

Indeed, without the remjet, you do get the halation and that certainly limits the emulsion for what it can be used for, but in 35mm I have pushed this stuff to ISO 3200 (C-41 pushed 3 stops) and gotten excellent results that print nicely. Then I've had frames on the same roll that seem to have problems in the emulsion itself.

Some cinestill 800T at 3200 results:

That said, if this stuff gets made, it's the first new color 4x5 in how many years? That's what I find awesome about the prospects of this campaign.

Karl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16191893623_4a663bc381_b.jpg  
    Last edited by kabbott; 26-Feb-2016 at 12:00. Reason: Removed some images as i felt they cluttered the thread

I'm not as confident in this project as I am with Kickstarter, but I went ahead and backed for a 25-sheet box. I will be pretty unhappy if they don't make it and I only get 8 rolls of 120.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome