Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a Brake.

HazlewoodImages

Re: I need a Brake.

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    It looks like it's a bearing and a lock (brake). If you have the broken piece, then it could be used to make a mold for a new one. Can you post dimensions of the shaft, gear, and the broken piece in the photo?
    I do not have the broken piece. I purchased the stand without it.

A simple pinch clamp will work. Block of aluminum with a hole for the shaft.

http://chpsale.com/store/image/cache...91-500x500.jpg

Not exactly like this but you probably get the idea. The foot (opposite the clamp) would bolt to the camera.

HazlewoodImages

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    A simple pinch clamp will work. Block of aluminum with a hole for the shaft.

http://chpsale.com/store/image/cache...91-500x500.jpg

Not exactly like this but you probably get the idea. The foot (opposite the clamp) would bolt to the camera.
    That's totally worth considering. Thank you. I'll look for one that may work.

If you said "gimme a brake":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-thing.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	146485

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LFBrake.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	146490

With dimensions, I could make a better model.

p.s. Fusion 360 model: http://a360.co/2427ymO

These are so complex cast steel parts that the chances of a replacement working reliably are pretty small.

A quick solution would be a hinged bolt attached to the column, adjacent to the wheel. This could fold down in order to engage one of the three spokes on this wheel when at rest - or after adjustment. This could be done in suitable style that would not scream of amateur - work. As long as the attachment to the column was secure, this would provide a very safe stand. The challenge would be making an attractive and robust hinging system. The outside half of the bolt could be covered in rubber to reduce noise and dampen impact.

You would still have make a simple bearing, but this would be much easier job than attempting to make an item with double function

The broken piece looks like grey cast iron. It's easily broken.

I wouldn't want to try and pull the rest of it apart and risk breaking something else. I would make a replacement with a top cap on the bearing to avoid that issue.

Brass and silver braze fabrication would be my choice. Model steam engines are often built this way to replicate castings.

The original design is good so I would try to follow it as closely as possible. It's a cool looking device.

Take a look at variations on those brakes.

Eddie says the Ansco design is better. I had one and it was strong and secure, not fragile.

Start with this youtube and them watch his others. He addresses the lock in detail. You will find it.

HazlewoodImages

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Take a look at variations on those brakes.

Eddie says the Ansco design is better. I had one and it was strong and secure, not fragile.

Start with this youtube and them watch his others. He addresses the lock in detail. You will find it.
    I actually spoke with Eddie on the phone a few days ago before posting this topic. Nice guy, super helpful even though he got rid of all of his LF stuff completely. He's on to new hobbies.

HazlewoodImages

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mac View Post
    The broken piece looks like grey cast iron. It's easily broken.

I wouldn't want to try and pull the rest of it apart and risk breaking something else. I would make a replacement with a top cap on the bearing to avoid that issue.

Brass and silver braze fabrication would be my choice. Model steam engines are often built this way to replicate castings.

The original design is good so I would try to follow it as closely as possible. It's a cool looking device.

I think that I do have to pull it apart to change the bushing because as it stands now, the gears on that side slip causing the platform to become uneven because the rod isn't held in place. The bushing and brake on that side is one whole unit. The other side is just a bushing. I'm going to have to find one that matches the complete bushing or replace both with new bushings. Perhaps in the absence of the brake/bushing combo, I can have a replica bushing made from the complete bushing I already have to keep the gear form slipping and figure out another brake alternative.