Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I need a Brake.

Re: I need a Brake.

For temporary use maybe you could just use a small wedge in one of the slots of the column. Would not have to be super tight on account of the counterbalance spring and friction.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

For the studio stands that I build, I have designed a pawl which is weighted to use gravity to always swing it towards engagement. Raising the camera, the pawl automatically disengages as it encounters each tooth. ("click, click, click" on the way up) It has a thin handle at the top allowing you to hold it out of engagement as you lower the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by HazlewoodImages View Post
    I like the pillow block idea. The pawl though would have to have a spring tensioned to always engage the teeth and equipped with a pull handle to dis engage from the teeth and allow me to crank up and down. I would have to mount it to the guide bracket located just above the gear. The Pillow block would be a store buy but the Pawl would have to be custom machined. Not a bad idea, thank you
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

HazlewoodImages

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    For the studio stands that I build, I have designed a pawl which is weighted to use gravity to always swing it towards engagement. Raising the camera, the pawl automatically disengages as it encounters each tooth. ("click, click, click" on the way up) It has a thin handle at the top allowing you to hold it out of engagement as you lower the camera.
    Judging by the picture i've provided would your pawl work if mounted to that flat guide bracket above the gear?

The pawl has to match the pitch of the rack gear, and the center of the axis of rotation has to be the right "height" above the rack.
    You would probably just want to make a stout bracket just for the pawl, and not overload the stand since the pawl would be supported on one side only.
    I can send you a picture of what I do so you can show it to your local machinist. PM me your email address.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com