Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Durst 138s laborator light bulb

Re: Durst 138s laborator light bulb

It has a diffuse head on it, which has been one of the main drawbacks for me about the Durst..well, that and everyones opinion to avoid it for now (mostly)

Drew Wiley

Luis - so what if he has never set foot in a darkroom. That was you and me once too! And I certainly began with 35mm. These pro enlarger are so abundant as
    giveaway nowadays, why not have machinery to grow with, if the darkroom turns out to be something you enjoy? One thing lead to another. The amount of floor space a 138 takes up isn't any more than using an Omega or Beseler atop a bench or stand. Gosh. It's hard to go wrong these days if the gear is in good condition.
    Omega, Saunders, Durst, Beseler - all these pop up frequently. As a beginner, I'd be happy with any or em. But if I happened to like nice-lookin' machines, and
    admired serious postwar Italian production skill like you'll never see again....

Well, I have been in a darkroom a couple of times and really enjoyed it..hence this journey. I've never used a condenser head, only diffuse, are they that bad for B/W work as far as dust and stuff goes? Just found a Saunders/LPL LPL 670XL packed in its original box, little baggies and all for 900..they are 1800 on B&H new..I could run with that if the Durst would be a huge mistake which seems to be the general consensus..

Here it is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enlarger 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	146314

Quote Originally Posted by volumniv View Post
    This just popped up for sale, can anyone tell me what model omega it is? it is not listed.. Attachment 146312
    It is an Omega D2, condenser head. A solid workhorse if in good shape.

Cheers,
    Geary
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.

Drew Wiley

If you think there's a "consensus" you haven't taken much of a census! But a nearly new LPL will save you time and complication if you don't like fixing things.
    It will limit you to a maximum negative size of 6x7cm, though that is a distinct step up from 35mm if you decide you need a slightly bigger film format. Any
    condenser head can be turned into diffusion simply by adding a sheet of transluscent white diffusion plastic above the negative stage. But working with variable
    speed papers, which are predominant nowadays, is a lot easier with a colorhead.

Nothing wrong with diffusion or condenser. I use a diffusion variable contrast head made by Ilford on my D5 and wouldn't trade it for anything even though it's on one of those inferior Omega's. My Durst is a condenser and it works great too. It really depends are what you want out of your enlarger. Diffusion prints with a longer scale and retains more information in the highlights and shadows but not a huge amount. It's really more how you shoot and process and what you want out of your neg.If I could get a 5x7 Ilford head for my Durst 138 I'd get it if the price were reasonable. I see a guy is making an adapter for the Ilford head but I have no idea how well it works or if it even covers 5x7.

I've never used or actually seen an LPL enlarger but I'm sure they are first rate. I still argue that the Omega and Beseler are everything you'l ever need and will outlast you and give first rate results. Omega and Beseler were the primary enlargers in every lab I've been in and would wager they have been the primary enlargers in most US professional labs.

I worked for 2 companies that had Durst 138's in their lab with either Omega or Beseler 4x5 enlargers too. The only time the Durst was use in both cases was when the neg was too large for the others. The reason, they are cumbersome and slow to use. You mentioned your friend said they are the best. I would have asked the best for what? They're excellent for 5x7 and 4x5 but the best for 35mm, from experience I don't think so. I wouldn't say they are the best for medium format either. Many would argue they aren't the best for 5x7 but rather the DeVere is the best. It really comes down to you what's best for your needs and your experience.

Everyone starts from the same point of no experience and knowledge. Some of us have better guidance than others and make fewer mistakes. I was fortunate to have a great mentor and apprentice under a master photographer. Filter the information you get on the internet. Listen to people that are long time professionals and highly experienced amateurs. Listening to the wrong people will only cost you money and discourage you. On the other hand listening to the wrong advice helps keep the flow of lightly used high quality equipment back into the market. So many people with little to no experience buy equipment on bad advice and wind up finding out that it's not as easy or what they were told it is and wind up taking a bath on it when they get discouraged.

My advice, skip the Durst until you know if you're going to like darkroom work and if you're any good. You may not want to get into large format when you get deeper into it. You might want to go medium format or stay in 35mm or you might want to go 8x10 and need a bigger enlarger or you might even decide that 8x10 contact prints are so beautiful you don't need anything else. It was good enough for Edward Weston. Give yourself time to figure out where you're going with this before you jump into something else. You might even decide this analog thing is time consuming and you go digital. Who knows.

What format view camera are you thinking about 4x5 or 5x7? The only reason I have the 138 is I shoot 5x7 and have a lot of 6x17 negs. I also need to print some of my art negs full frame to the edge and the Nega carrier is the way to go. If it were 4x5 I'd only own my D5 Omega. I like my 138 but would rather print on my D5. It's simply easier to use and less cumbersome.

Printing is an art and it take a great deal of learning to be a fine printer, particularly if you're doing it on your own. Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by volumniv View Post
    snip... Just found a Saunders/LPL LPL 670XL packed in its original box, little baggies and all for 900..they are 1800 on B&H new..I could run with that if the Durst would be a huge mistake which seems to be the general consensus..
    I would suggest stepping back and making some realistic determinations on what formats that you want to shoot. If you are committed to eventually going to 5x7, what is the path to get there? What is the time frame? How close are you to actually building out or finding space for a darkroom? Are there community darkrooms available in your area?

The 670XL is a medium format enlarger. Max film size is 6x7. Considering that enlarger is incongruous with everything that you have said but, "I only shoot 35mm right now." There are better choices, IMO, with which to start. Especially at that price point!! But you need to determine the format progression.

You could find a 4x5 enlarger rather easily. Does it make sense for your transition to LF to start with 4x5? There is just far more available on the market in 4x5 cameras and enlargers. I love 5x7 and the aspect ratio, but that is me. If you never plan to go to 8x10, the Durst 138 is a wonderful piece of kit. I use a Devere 504 for 35mm-4x5 and a Durst L184 for 5x7-8x10. That configuration is the result of many years and many other enlargers. (Still have my 30+ year old D2) Sold my LPL 4500 to buy the DeVere. But space and room height very quickly become issues. Both the Durst and Devere are floor standers and solid as rocks. Neither of those enlargers will make you a better photographer, but will definitely make your DR time more productive.

Where are you located? There is probably somebody close by that would be willing to do a "show and tell".

Cheers,
    Geary
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.

Drew Wiley

I just have to remember my own roots. I bought a 6x7 enlarger but sold it almost immediately. Even for medium format work, a 4x5 enlarger was way more solid
    and versatile. But then I had the basis to move up to 4x5 film too. That's what really got me addicted to printing. 4x5 enlargers are way more common than 6x7
    models anyway. 8x10 is really a tough step up, however, in terms of size and expense.

Saw it tonight- man is that an amazing piece of equipment...I see what you all mean with the 50mm lens sitting up so high, what he used to use was one of those schneider lenses that has a tab that you can set to lock into place so you can close the lens to wherever you set it...

Either way, I have some thinking to do...thank you for all the advice, knowledge, and opinions everyone

If it's affordable.... Go for it!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org