Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying push on connector for Packard shutter microswitch (flash sync)

Need help identifying push on connector for Packard shutter microswitch (flash sync)

I need to make an auxiliary cable for the flash sync microswitch on my Packard #6 pneumatic shutter. The posts on the switch are ~1.5mm O.D. & the supplied cable has 2 push on connectors that go over any 2 of the 3 posts. I need to know what this type of connector is called & could use suggestions on where to purchase similar connectors. I've already tried Radio Shack & the local computer repair shops with no joy.

The reason I want to make a new cable is the supplied one ends in a PC sync port, which I then have to attach to a female PC port cable that finally ends in a 2.5mm audio connector for my Paul C. Buff trigger. The slightest disturbance of the Frankencable is enough to start firing my strobes like a machine gun. Very annoying & shortens the flashtubes' lifespans.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-02-04 13.46.18.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	146053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-02-04 13.47.13.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	146054
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Re: Need help identifying push on connector for Packard shutter microswitch (flash sy

I bet these fit. https://www.pololu.com/category/65/premium-jumper-wires

I buy from these guys.

Re: Need help identifying push on connector for Packard shutter microswitch (flash sy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I bet these fit. https://www.pololu.com/category/65/premium-jumper-wires

I buy from these guys.
    Unfortunately, those fit over a 2.54mm post. Wouldn't be a tight fit (I need 1.5mm). The microswitches they sell have 2mm posts & my guess is most folks are soldering their jumpers to them; I didn't see any connectors on the site specifically for 2mm push-on use.

seezee on Flickr

I buy their tiniest micro-switch for 75 pennies and their wire fits their posts.

But I also solder them to make it fool proof.

I buy ten switches at a time and convert my own Packard's.

ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by seezee View Post
    Unfortunately, those fit over a 2.54mm post. Wouldn't be a tight fit (I need 1.5mm). The microswitches they sell have 2mm posts & my guess is most folks are soldering their jumpers to them; I didn't see any connectors on the site specifically for 2mm push-on use.

If you're just trying to match the fittings that Packard put thereoriginally, why not go shopping at the source?
    http://www.packardshutter.com/

They have parts that aren't listed on the web page.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

A second look at the difficult to see posts, I think they look the same size as BiPost flash connectors on old shutters.

Buy from http://www.paramountcords.com/ They also make custom cords.

But I have found there are at least 2 different sizes of BiPost. Now I just wrap a wire around the darn thing and tape. Not the best, but all this stuff is very old.

I also bought 3 different sizes of common modern 'bullet' connectors and found a horrible way to use them. Works, butt ugly

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    If you're just trying to match the fittings that Packard put thereoriginally, why not go shopping at the source?
    http://www.packardshutter.com/

They have parts that aren't listed on the web page.
    Mine was actually manufactured in the '80s by Professional Photographic Products, Inc., which I think is a different company(?). But it's worth making an enquiry, isn't it? Thanks for the suggestion.

seezee on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    A second look at the difficult to see posts, I think they look the same size as BiPost flash connectors on old shutters.
    Possible … but at that price it's risky. The BiPost they sell is for posts spaced about ¼″ apart; the posts on my switch are about ⅜″ apart, and then there's the matter of the 3rd post, which might prevent the connector from seating if the housing is too wide. I may rig something up with insulated pre-crimped terminals. I want the option to not leave the cable connected to the switch at all times, which is why I want a push-on solution.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions & keep 'em coming.

seezee on Flickr

I have great respect for the job that Packard Shutter does in keeping this ancient technology available to us, but I should point out that having bought a new shutter with sync, I found that those little connectors were merely crimped onto the wire with pliers, and slipped off quite readily (fortunately, before I started to use the shutter). It was tricky to get the crimp open far enough to get the wire back in, but now it is securely soldered and insulated with shrink tubing. The best solution is probably to solder (small) wires onto the pins, insulate them, and terminate the wires as a pigtail with something like a stereo miniplug/socket. The microswitch connectors will not be particularly reliable unless strain-relieved, and then changing the connection will be an nuisance.

(notice that Pocket Wizards have only miniplug inputs, so there is a vote of confidence for that connector)

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    I have great respect for the job that Packard Shutter does in keeping this ancient technology available to us, but I should point out that having bought a new shutter with sync, I found that those little connectors were merely crimped onto the wire with pliers, and slipped off quite readily (fortunately, before I started to use the shutter). It was tricky to get the crimp open far enough to get the wire back in, but now it is securely soldered and insulated with shrink tubing. The best solution is probably to solder (small) wires onto the pins, insulate them, and terminate the wires as a pigtail with something like a stereo miniplug/socket. The microswitch connectors will not be particularly reliable unless strain-relieved, and then changing the connection will be an nuisance.

(notice that Pocket Wizards have only miniplug inputs, so there is a vote of confidence for that connector)
    I'll most likely be doing a variation of this solution. I currently use the shutter with a PCB Cyber Commander, which also uses a 2.5mm miniplug. So I've got the original cable connected to the shutter via the push-on connectors; that cable terminates in a male PC sync terminal. Id attach the PCB cable that has a female PC sync at 1 end & 2.5mm miniplug at the other end to that.

The problem arises when I accidentally brush up against the cable with either the pneumatic tube or my dark cloth — that's enough to close the circuit and cause the strobes to start firing repeatedly!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-02-05 14.22.04.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	146099

seezee on Flickr