Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rodinal lasts forever, right?

Re: Rodinal lasts forever, right?

I wonder to what degree the Rodinal packaging plays a role. I.E. the old glass bottles vs. the later plastic bottles.

I'm sure glass was better.

I have a few bottles of photography chems in factory sealed plastic bottles that are collapsing inwards, which must mean something is leaving the sealed plastic bottle.

Which also means my air is being contaminated.

And I could decant to all glass, but I drop a lot of things...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I'm sure glass was better.

I have a few bottles of photography chems in factory sealed plastic bottles that are collapsing inwards, which must mean something is leaving the sealed plastic bottle.

Which also means my air is being contaminated.

And I could decant to all glass, but I drop a lot of things...
    No Randy, the "bottle squeeze" thing is from changes in atmospheric pressure at night as the air gets heavier... (I know as I use 2 ltr soda bottles as chem bottles, and nearly empty ones start making clicking/snapping sounds overnight, and sometimes I find crunched empty ones in the morning... Even dented metal paint cans...)
    And I sleep on an air mattress and it gets much harder and softer at times...

Sounds mad, but exhaling CO2 from my lungs into a half-filled bottle with a drinking straw before capping does extend the life of stock & highly diluted solutions... My dilute one-shot film developer starts to discolor a within a day in half filled bottles, but takes over a week after I exhaled into it... Grab a handful of straws the next time you do fast food...

Steve K

After every usage I cover my chemical liquids with Propan/Butan gas to protect the liquids against O2. This works well..

Quote Originally Posted by plaubel View Post
    Par example, highly toxic ingredients were substituted.
    Such as?
    Linhof Kardan re

I don't know.
    If you really want to know, I may ask my good friend who worked at Tetenal and who has sold for years the new Rodinal stuff.
    He once told me that toxic chemicals has been substituted, maybe he knows.

But I remember another thing he told me last year, because I have had problems with the surprisingly short lifespan of my last charge of Adotol.
    Developers have ingredients which will guarantee the lifespan. But they are the most expensive part of a developer, so if a producer want to safe money, he probably will safe this ingredients first.
    Just an information, nothing to say against any producer at this time..

Ritchie

Had same issue the other night, chunks of crystal in a bottle of R09 (which i ignored) that I estimate being 12 months old. Stripped all three rolls. Wish I seen this thread earlier....
    Cheers Shane

Quote Originally Posted by plaubel View Post
    Developers have ingredients which will guarantee the lifespan. But they are the most expensive part of a developer, so if a producer want to safe money, he probably will safe this ingredients first.
    That's what happens when accountants f*ck with science.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    No Randy, the "bottle squeeze" thing is from changes in atmospheric pressure at night as the air gets heavier... (I know as I use 2 ltr soda bottles as chem bottles, and nearly empty ones start making clicking/snapping sounds overnight, and sometimes I find crunched empty ones in the morning... Even dented metal paint cans...)
    And I sleep on an air mattress and it gets much harder and softer at times...

Sounds mad, but exhaling CO2 from my lungs into a half-filled bottle with a drinking straw before capping does extend the life of stock & highly diluted solutions... My dilute one-shot film developer starts to discolor a within a day in half filled bottles, but takes over a week after I exhaled into it... Grab a handful of straws the next time you do fast food...

Steve K
    Disagree. These bottles are doing something else, I like the straw CO2 idea.

If I get chance today, I'll try a dish development with some of the old R09 and a sheet of film in daylight; it ought to come out flat black, but we'll see.

Neil